[OT] Heathrow hires high-wire team to change ... light bulbs

"You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike"

Reply to
John Williamson

Which, as a sideways leap, was exactly my reaction to the discovery that Google Streetview has explored the old BBC TV Centre.

Those who are already familiar have had a great time. I haven't really found much yet.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Have you been playing mass produced adventure games written in the Quill for the ZX Spectrum?

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

It is for the company that's getting the contract to build it and has conned the airport into thinking it needs it.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Ever heard of friction. The wieght of the car is significant You get that between the road surface and the tyres. The fact that it's a rolling road makes little if any differnce. The more wheels you have the more friction you have too, ideally you'd have nothing touching the road surface.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I often get better MPG with a passenger on board - I drive more smoothly, offsetting the additional weight.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Which are not subject to any EU legislation and depending on the whim of the manufacturer can be physically measured, computed, or just invented by those in the marketing department. The manufacturer could even opt to publish no acceleration figures at all.

The advertising standards authority might have something to say if the manufacturer is telling huge porkies, but I doubt they could be bothered.

Reply to
The Other Mike

A fan blows though the vehicle radiator for engine cooling purposes. The test cell is maintained at a steady temperature.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Why would something break? Of course it wouldn't look good if it did while testing. Perhaps the maker should add 'don't drive this car hard as it will break' in the handbook?

BTW, reputable mags like Autocar don't remove bits or anything else when conducting performance testing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I decide to email someone that might know at

Dave, I have had cars on my dyno with just myself & then with 4 & 5 people on board. I found that peak BHP stays the same but the power at wheels is r educed but transmission losses are more which gives the same peak number. N ot sure about mpg but would say it would be down as the car does have to lo ad more. Thanks, Jim.

--------------------------------------------- I would have thought the wieght carried or the number of passangers in the real world would make a difference. I'm not sure I believe that a full car has the same MPG as a car with just the driver. Also wondering what use a MPG figure is if teh wieght of teh car and/or the number of passangers is irrelivant.

I was racing my pagina Zhonda last night wishing I could use that to get to work rather than the bus ! I reckon I'd have fun flipping cyclists too.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Component out of spec, the driver pushing too hard, human error. How did richard hammond crash that car at 300MPH did something break ?

It'#d be evenm worse if it broke in real world usage.

But that doesn't aply to manufacuters does it.

Reply to
whisky-dave

"Dave Plowman (News)" :

I've heard it said that in some cars, ignoring the clutch and using brute force on the gear lever improves 0-62 times. ISTM that frequent repetition could cause a breakage.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

In message , Mike Barnes writes

ISTR that the Autocar 0 to 60mph figure for a Morgan sports car of around 1965 admitted to *upward gear changes on full throttle*:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

No, the original 350 point Colossal Cave Adventure ported to Windows. It's 296 kilobytes of texty goodness. Just remember to drop the key

*before* you go down the manhole. And keep the coin to use in the battery vending machine.
Reply to
John Williamson

Colossal Caves ran on the 48K Spectrum. Did it get extra colossalness?

Why on earth would that be an advantage?

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

There are many versions, and the original ran on a PDP-10 in 1976. It was originally written in FORTRAN (700 lines of code, with another 700 lines of data) and has been ported to just about every computer ever made. The Windows version suffers from the normal code bloat to handle the (very basic) graphics, but a text version will indeed fit in the memory of a 48K spectrum, with room to spare.

If you'd ever played the game, you'd know.

Reply to
John Williamson

I did in the 80s. That was a long time ago.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

It seems to be not uncommon for something to give when trying to squeeze that last 10th of a second off the 0-60 time - especially with powerful AWD cars, you need to be particularly brutal with the clutch etc.

Reply to
John Rumm