[OT] Heathrow hires high-wire team to change ... light bulbs

tyre rolling resistance for one.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The new layout has narrower aisles, allowing more product shelving which means more money in. I suspect that heavily outweighs any considerations of inconveniently placed columns. However, it does illustrate my point about layouts having to change to suit changing needs.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

What figures would they be?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would be extremely surprised if the rolling road didn't compensate for measured mass.

Reply to
Adrian

In what way?

Or are you just making up a meaningless statement to look impressive?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Signage?

Reply to
ARW

Get a LPG picker then:-)

Reply to
ARW

Big signs.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

No reason it couldn't be electric. Some forklifts are electric aren't they?

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Usually big and high. Ever been to an airport?

Reply to
ARW

The 0-60 times that motoring magazine journalists wet themselves over, and look good in adverts for some cars. They're normally obtained by using an independent speed measuring device and giving the car loads of welly on a dry, high grip, test track. If nothing breaks, the driver keeps pushing until *something* gives up the ghost or it flies off the test track. Which is why a lot of makers don't like lending cars to some magazines and TV shows.

Reply to
John Williamson

The dynamometer is set to simulate the maker's given mass for the production vehicle, according to the link supplied ^ up there somewhere. All else is set to the maker's recommended figures, and I'd not expect a few kilos to make much difference to the tyres' rolling resistance. I'm not sure if they use a fan to generate a simulated headwind, though, in which case removing number plates etc. *can* make a noticeable difference.

Reply to
John Williamson

Yes. Do they have to be that high?

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

I would think so. Do a comparison wth say schools and hospitals and try to find your way around the latter.

Reply to
ARW

They only have to be above head height. Think of a supermarket's isle signage, and imagine the shelving wasn't there.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

A supermarket without shelves. Nice one.

Reply to
ARW

They're big, have 'em to close you'd only be able to see "artu".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Then make them smaller, like in supermarkets.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

On a rolling road?

Reply to
John Rumm

You're not following the design plan: Big is better.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice