OT: Favourite OT Subject - (US) 6 underground nuclear tanks leaking

[...]

They are still no-go areas now, which was the salient point at issue.

Reply to
Java Jive

Sputnik was a satellite, launched by a two-stage R-7 Semyorka rocket that was designed as an ICBM by Kozlov at Experimental Design Bureau No. 1, in 1954.

I do wish he'd check his facts before spouting off.

Reply to
Terry Fields

ROFL

Reply to
Terry Fields

Being declared a no-go area by the Government doesn't necessarily mean that there is actual danger. All it means is that someone has convinced a government official who probably has no relevant training that there

*might* be a danger which might show up before they either retire or change jobs.

Chernobyl and the surrounding area are now open for tourist visits.

Reply to
John Williamson

On 28/02/2013 13:29, Java Jive wrote: #

The salient point is that there probably no need for the no go areas.

Reply to
dennis

Reply to
Java Jive

Reply to
Java Jive

What Andy said was perfectly clear, except apparently to you.

Reply to
Terry Fields

You can stop digging now. What Andy said was perfectly clear, and needed no clarification.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Your brackets only show that you are such a pedant you are unable to see the bigger picture, hence my use of brackets.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

designed as an ICBM by Kozlov

Noone here has said otherwise.

I do wish you'd check the thread before spouting off.

Reply to
Java Jive

It needed no clarification to those of us who were around at the time, and/or already knew the story, but I felt there was a possibility of it being read by others as meaning that Sputnik was actually an ICBM, hence my self-deprecating use of the quotes.

Also, Andy and I have known each other virtually for a long time, and you will note that in turn he tacitly accepted the clarification by clarifying further exactly what he meant, and that in turn I tacitly accepted what he meant, and that was the end of the exchange thus far.

It wasn't until you came barging in to the discussion like a bull in a china shop and majored on a relatively insignificant detail, rather than the much more important thrust of it, that either of us felt the need to post further.

Go and make mounta>

Reply to
Java Jive

They showed that I had realised that what Andy had said was ambiguous.

Without first engaging brain, as usual.

Reply to
Java Jive

That is one way of looking at it, if you are prone to believing in conspiracy theories, but another and more rational view might be to say that the someone was a qualified scientist, and the civil servant or minister who made the decision was acting in the best interests of the people affected.

I've known that for some time biologists have been studying what is happening to wildlife in the area, which is an important and rational thing to do, but I guess it takes all sorts (my caps) ...

"Visit Chernobyl and Pripyat: Nuclear disaster tourism in Ukraine

On April 26, 1986, Reactor number 4 at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant, located in Ukraine, exploded. Nearly nine tons of radioactive materials - 90 TIMES AS MUCH AS THE HIROSHIMA BOMB - were hurled into the sky. The explosion took place at around one in the morning while the neighboring town of Pripyat slept. Only forty hours later, the residents of Pripyat were ordered to evacuate, and most never returned. The exclusion zone of 30 km (19 mi) that was set up around the reactor is still in place today. LONG TERM ACCESS TO THE ZONE IS FORBIDDEN, but short term visits for tourists are allowed."

So you still can't live there. However, feel free to visit if you wish, and take along some of the nuclear-biased people from this ng while you're about it. I suppose it would be too much to ask that they learn from the experience and come back a little less cocky, but doubtless instead they'll come back full of how wonderful it was/is.

To me it seems a little sick, like voyeuristically taking a tour of an African or South American slum, but that's another story.

Reply to
Java Jive

I think they have discontinued that actually.,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This makes interesting reading: For the first time open querying of the LNT methodology as a 'means of predicting harm'' rather than 'a means of setting regulatory limits'.

Also read :

The Natural Philosopher

Andy made perfectly clear statements that need no 'clarification'.

Reply to
Terry Fields

Lest We Forget? Like taking a tour of the Somme battlefields, or Auschwitz.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

In message , Java Jive writes

You missed out morris dancing

Reply to
geoff

So not a very 'academic' university them.

And pharmacology and needlework...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher