OT Electric kettle question

Ha! You'll be lucky. The first thing you'd need to understand is the various ions in solution at neutral pH when calcium is in equilibrium with various concentrations of CO2 and at various pH levels near neutral, which is a highly complex system. Then you'd have to work out why and how a magnetic field would influence those ions to prevent crystal growth and precipitation.

I wouldn't go as far as to say these devices don't work; they may, but it's certainly not obvious why they should, and attempts to prove they work by experiment don't seem very successful, so the science is going to be difficult, even assuming there is any.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

/Soft water tastes nasty though.

Philip/q

Er shome mishtake shurely?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

The flaw in that logic is that the mesh is over the spout, but not under the opening top. So if you fill it from the top rather than by trying to squirt water up the spout, it misses the filter on the way in. (its also too coarse to serve much use as a proper filter)

As an addendum I might add that our kettle had such a filter at one time

- result, no crunchy drinks. Then later it came unstuck and fell out - now you get scaley bits!

Reply to
John Rumm

+1

Avpx

Reply to
The Nomad

It has been tested. There was a v.slight (tiny, so tiny as to be within error margins) reduction in scale deposit in a recirculating system, but not a scintilla of measurable effect in an open system, as you would supply taps or water heaters, showers, etc from.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon