OT: Dental implants

Nothing at all to do with DIY. No, definitely not!

I need a couple of dental implants and have been given an estimate of £3600 by my dentist

Has anyone been abroad for implants? I have been googling and read a parliamentary white paper which pointed out that due to the limited number of dentists in this country with the appropriate skills the cost is double what it would be in mainland Europe

Has anyone been through this procedure outside the UK and if so would you recommend your dentist?

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Have considered many in Europe, Budapest, Hungary, even India.

Usually around half the price and provide accommodation as well. Flights need to be organised separately usually.

Yes, went to Budapest three years ago, happy with the price and not a peep of trouble from implants or the crowns (one filling I had done at the same time has since developed a bit of a sharp edge and likely needs re-doing)

YHM

Reply to
Andy Burns

Angle grinder...

Reply to
Lobster

I just had an implant (Tooth #4) in the USA. It cost $2184 for the implant and $920 for the crown for the implant. It was robbery. It took the guy all of five minutes to screw in the implant; it is about as complicated as screwing in a deck screw. The crown came off (it was glued back on.)

Look at

for prices. This is a lab and the installation is extra.

I am not sure that DIY is out of the question.

George

Reply to
GerorgeD

My grandfather used to take his new dentures into the garage, and grind various bits down, trying to make them more comfortable. After a few weeks of doing this, he would eventually go back to the dentist and say they don't fit. Dentist took one look and said "I never made those!"

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Singapore. An implant cost (from memory) about SGD1200. I can give you some contact details if you are interested.

-- Nige Danton

Reply to
Nige Danton

so what size are you going for?? 38DD?

Reply to
gazz

Last week my dentist quoted me £2.5 - 3K for a titanium peg, I'm going to live with the gap!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

An Esther Rantzen?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com (Anna Kettle) saying something like:

Nope, but I've heard from many sources the Hungarians are very good and cheap. In fact, if you visit some Hungarian dental sites, they offer a package including flights, treatment and hotel.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , Nige Danton writes

My wife's sister-in-law is a dentist in Indonesia

Probably as cheap as you would get at a quality you would expect

Reply to
geoff

Andy,

Would you be kind enough to forward some details to me as well please. Personal recommendation is a good way of starting off rather than trawl the net again. I *Really* can't live with these dentures anymore !

nthkentman at gmail dot com

Many thanks

I can highly recommend this place

had mine done there but it works out around 5000sgd depends on what else you need IE bone grafts etc. the weak pound makes it a bit expensive at the moment and unless you take holidays at the same time could work out expensive. But the service was first class Dr Ng was a superb dentist much better than mine at home. Rob

Reply to
rob

In article , Grimly Curmudgeon scribeth thus

I presume that should you have a problem afterwards then you'd have to go back to the place that did the work?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Not me, but Thailand is the place to go.

Al.

Reply to
Al

And me if you'd be so kind Andy.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

I have had two done here at a bit more than you have been quoted and would not entertain going abroad

Each Implant needs 5 or 6 visits for checkups etc The dentist gives me appointments at 16.00 so I can do a full days work first He can use a less strong glue in the beginning in case it needs slight repositionong as it is easy to glue back in if it comes loose. I am happy that there is proper indemnity insurance in place I personally do not believe that you will get the same job done abroad with 1 or 2 visits. He was not happy with the shade of one and sent it back replacing my with the temp crown, and put the correct one in two weeks later Do you think your foreign dentist would do this? These should last the rest of my life and i want a proper job

YMMV

Phil

Reply to
nimbusjunk

Visit one: Extractions done, decision made on implants, fillings replaced, impressions taken and crowns fitted that did not require implants.

Visit two: Bone graft, implants fitted, root canal fillings, wait 6 months for graft to take and implants to "firm up" (sometimes it is possible to fit crowns immediately)

Visit three: was literally fly in, have impressions taken, fly home.

Visit four: crowns/bridges fitted to implants.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks everyone for your recommendations and comments. Singapore seems a bit far to travel, so does Thailand ...

Andy's Hungary recommendation looks good to me ... and to other uk.d-i-yers as well it seems. Maybe we should organise a uk.d-i-y jolly! I have some of questions which their website doesnt answer, one of which Andy has answered ...

Flights are £120 return so £700 of flights and transfers need to be included in the cost, plus hotels and meals

From their price list ... Dentistry Implant and metal bar supported protheses 1600 £ 2400 ? Oral surgery Implant / Pitt-Easy Made In Germany 460 £ 650 ? Camlog Implant 550 £ 740 ?

I'm not sure which of the above numbers apply but overall it looks like about half the price of UK or perhaps a bit more. So now I have to consider what the convenience of getting it done in UK is worth to me. A day in Hungary is a day when I am not working and as Phil says, in England the dentistry can probably be fitted in around my working day.

Hm Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle