OT:- Condemned boiler in house

It is illegal to leave the gas installation in an unsafe state when selling. An example is someone who removes some appliance they are taking with them and don't cap off, but just turn off the gas leaving an open pipe end -- that's been known to happen.

However, this certainly doesn't mean you can claim the cost of a new boiler unless the house was sold as containing a new boiler. Deterining that the boiler needs replacing and negotiating any reduction is your responsibility before the sale -- too late afterwards. At best, you could try reclaiming the cost of making the gas installation safe (capping off the old boiler), but that's not going to be worth the effort.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Hi all, sorry to post this here but with everyone knowing so much about the gas regs etc I thought it would be a good place to start.

I have just moves into a 1930`s semi. The boiler was an old valiant open flued combi. After having a quick look at it and seeing that the filling loop was 2 stoptaps and there was no permanent ventilation in the room in which it was installed, I decided to get a Corgi in.

He took one look at the flue which was a flexi flue and immediately condemned the boiler and capped it off. The flexi flue came out the top, bent 90 degrees immediately then entered the chimney breast and then another

90 degree bend and up the chimney. I have no idea who installed it but the Corgi said it was so dangerous it should never have been their in the first place.

A few people have mentioned to me that I can actually claim the cost back of the new boiler and its installation from the sellers. Is it true that by law you cannot sell a house with dangerous gas appliances, or is it a case of buyer beware?

Reply to
John Woodhall

Did you not have even a rudimentary survey done? That would probably include the recommendation to get these things checked.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Admittedley we only had the basic survey done. A full survey would have been over a grand. I doubt that would have included the gas.

Reply to
John Woodhall

Depends what was agreed in the purchase. I've just sold a house (in Scotland) and gave a 7 day guarantee that the gas and electrics had no major faults (common thing to do in Scotland). So if the buyer finds a major fault within 7 days, I have to pay to fix it. But this was all clearly stated in the missives.

Reply to
Happy Hunter

My guess is you'll find lines in your surveyor's report such as "we recommend the buyer has the boiler examined by a qualified person" and/or the estate agents spec, such as "the boiler has not been tested and is not guaranteed" and/or something similar in the vendor's solicitor's contract. Am I right?

Buyer beware I think.

David

Reply to
Lobster

"> > A few people have mentioned to me that I can actually claim the cost back of

Guess that clears it up then. I wanted a new one anyway ;-).

Thanks all.

Reply to
John Woodhall

Surveyors reports are a waste of time as they push onto other bodies vital check. So may as well eliminate the surveyor and go the bodies concerned.

Reply to
IMM

I have to agree!

I have yet to have a survey that doesn't have a whole section full of "The wiring has not been inspected and should be checked separately", "The heating has not been checked and should be checked separately", "The house has not been checked and should be checked separately".

Having said this I have had a survey that was painfully frank about the structural problems with a property (I seem to recall it contained phrases such as "it may be worth considering the cost of demolition and reinstatement") and best of all is if you can accompany the surveyor on his survey (only really works if the property is empty) as I have had a couple of good discussions this way - finding out things that won't go in the report, and also finding out that although he would put something in the report it is not worth worrying about it.

Reply to
Matt Beard

I agree here too. The best I have seen though is "the property appears to be connected to a water supply". OF course it's connected, turn on a tap !!! They are good really only to notice structural defects that the untrained eye wouldn't normally notice ...

Reply to
warwick

As you need to go to a CORGI man to check the heating and gas an electrician to check the wiring, etc, go to a good builder to check the structure. As you say that is all they do.

Reply to
IMM

A basic homebuyer's survey picked up on gas installations for us....

Reply to
hudsterou