OT: Cold Weather Kills Electric Cars

Cursitor Doom

Why does the story headline "Tesla", when the problem description is with "Chevy Bolt" ?

Do they need clicks that bad ?

*******

"Why doesn't the Bolt have a heat pump?

The Bolt has a resistance heater that heats a liquid and runs that through the heater core. Why not a heat pump/AC? It would heat the car and use less energy? Why GM? Did V8 people work on the Bolt?"

And what you have to check for in these cars, is whether the heater is available when DCFC or when AC charging.

"The battery heater doesn't work during DC fast charging.

It only activates during AC charging. Still, I think this is a feature GM should give owners some ability to activate."

So while the Bolt has some ability to condition the battery, it's "cave-man crude". It's "one inch from being a golf cart".

And the reason web-forums are necessary for cars like this, is to ascertain what the feature set of the vehicle, really is.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Pictures I have seen show a lot of cars grouped around Tesla charging stations (which can be used by some other cars). Both the cars and the chargers have had cold-weather problems.

Of course, pictures mean nothing now...

Reply to
Joe