OT: Cheap drinking water by condensation of moisture

I got some "interesting" spam (makes a change) about extracting drinking water from the air.

method, at 1 KWH per US gallon, uses only 1/4 the electicity of conventional water distillation as there is no heating involved. Red Ken might think about this for London instead of the water distillation plant, which he doesn't like anyway.

john2

Reply to
john2

The plant in London is not a full distillation one, since the water is fairly fresh already. They were claiming much less power was required (I have no particular view).

Reply to
Bob Eager

It's not obvious how that works. I searched on Google and found some partial vacuum distillers that operate at a lower temperature than 100C that the Arab oil states seem to use. But they're not particularly short of energy out there anyway.

john2

Reply to
john2

It works on the principle that a liquid in a vacuum boils at a lower temperature therefore requiring less energy.Not a new idea,I remember looking at units twenty years ago with a view to using them to recover hydraulic oil that had become contaminated with moisture. regards,Mark.

Reply to
mark

Probably reverse osmosis?

Water is condensed from the air in AC plants which will, in summer, cool the air below the dewpoint to condense the water vapour and then reheat the air to the required supply temperature. Dehumidifiers work the same way. The water is a waste product and is usually full of dissolved CO2, dust, insect remains and whatever filth happens to be in the air on that day. It won't work as well in winter because the water vapour content of the air is much less, although the Rh may be higher. Impractical for London.

Distillation isn't much used for water purification, RO and CDI plant will produce water with lower TDS. Distillation heat sterlizes the product.

I would suggest that several years of study of the technicalities of water supply and treatment, followed by many years of practical experience will usually produce an Engineers who are better informed about water supply matters than most Politicians, whose ill-informed pontificating says more about their Egos.

I'd think they're probably right. I share your no partiular view.

Reply to
Aidan

Enough water condenses out of air conditioners to be usable.

Mind you, I'd want to chlorinate it first..legionnaires disease etc.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

RO is what it looked like, from the description on the TV news.

Reply to
Ian White

I believe that Thames Water generate a lot of electricity from generating sets powered by methane from sewage digesters. There is a sewage treatment plant at Beckton already, judging from the hideous pong. Perhaps it is to be a poo-powered purification plant?

How salty is the Thames at Beckton? Not much I'd think, but it must depend on the tide and how much of the fresher water they're extracting. I will try to resist the urge to have a taste when I next visit Messrs B&Q's emporium.

Reply to
Aidan

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

When I first got a de-humidifier I thought I'd use the water for ice cubes (being in a hard water area), but it tasted really unpleasant, I assume this was due to it being condensate from the kitchen, that had some other volatiles mixed in with it. Anyone else know / tried this?

Reply to
bof

cheers Jacob

Reply to