OT: Car roof bar padding

Hi All,

Would anyone know if one of the common / popular open-tomorrow sheds (or Halfrauds etc) do any foam pads, well tubes possibly that one can slip over your roof rack / bars to help protect the load (a folding boat in this case) please? I thought I seen a pack containing 2 x square section tubes ~ 500mm long sold for just this job but I can't remember where now. ;-(

I've Googled to many snazzy surf-dood type things (that would also be ok if they weren't too expensive) but we don't have a surf shop near here (Nth London). ;-)

I have tried the 22mm pipe insulation before and whilst it works it seems to get cut up very easily (hence why the fancier ones seem to have a neoprene outer velro'd-on cover).

Cheers, T i m

[1] I have used blocks of sponge on real boats previously but this is more of a spread than point load, hence the foam tube.
Reply to
T i m

Halfords used to sell the Thule windsurfing kit which has a couple of rubber tubes mounted to a plastic channel that clips over the bars. Failing that, pipe insulation wrapped in duct tape does the job.

If it doesn't have to be tomorrow, or you can bodge it with pipe insulation for a while, give Switters a ping on UKRM. He lives in surf shop heaven & would probably stick some in the post if you ask nicely.

Reply to
Krusty

That sounds like what I saw. When you say 'used to sell' do you know then now don't or just haven't checked since etc (go sign on their web site).

Ah, not tried the wrapping with duct tape bit (just held the last ones on with bands of PVC tape. Might end up a bit more slippery than a plane foam or neoprene but sounds a good compromise none the less.

It does but I can do the latter so ...

If I can't find anything locally today I'll do just that. Thanks.

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Haven't checked since I bought one over twenty years ago.

Reply to
Krusty

Ah, that use of 'used', ta. ;-)

I'll ring em in a mo.