[OT] Cannot connect to eBay

Left my laptop on last night, and this morning, cannot connect to eBay UK, Com, Fr etc. Tried wife's laptop with the same result, yet we can both connect to other sites - BBC, Met Office, FB, Amazon etc. Asked son to try with his mobile and he connected. We are all using the same wi-fi but son connects via VPN, so I connected via his VPN and could instantly connect to eBay. Exit the VPN and no eBay, just a message :
Access Denied You don't have permission to access "http://www.ebay.co.uk /" on this server. Reference #18.fa71002.1516091214.45b34e19
Any thoughts?
--
Graeme

Graeme wrote:

Is virgin your ISP by any chance?

Zen. Next job is to reboot the router. Cannot imagine it will help, but who knows? Waiting because others are doing stuff ATM. We can connect to every other site we have tried, just not eBay, except when going via the VPN.
--
Graeme

Graeme wrote:

Seems that it affects many Virgin users, but probably down to ebay blocking individual IP addrs and/or whole subnets

Various users claim swapping or rebooting routers fixes it, but probably only because they pick up a different IP addr, really it's ebay blocking you or your fellow Zen users!
On 16/01/2018 10:05, Andy Burns wrote:

It doesn't look like a blanket ban on Zen users, I can access ebay.co.uk from my Zen account without any problem.
--
Mike Clarke

Mike Clarke wrote:

Seems like eBay use Akamai caching servers between them and the users
<https://community.ebay.com/t5/My-Account/Access-Denied-You-don-t-have-permission-to-access-quot-http-www/qaq-p/26489665/jump-to/first-unread-message
On 16/01/2018 10:27, Mike Clarke wrote:

+1 Zen user with fixed IP and no problems.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

This is odd. I rebooted the router, which made no difference, then cold booted the laptop. When I open my browser, it defaults to four tabs, one of which is eBay UK, and it displayed my home page perfectly. From there, I can look at messages, but not look at any watched items. Cannot search new listings etc. Same applies whether I use Chrome or Firefox.
I can see that eBay may have blocked Zen users, but that does not explain the limited access, as above. Having said that, just fired up the VPN again, and eBay is working perfectly, presumably because eBay cannot see that I am a Zen user.
Nothing I can see on the Zen web site or FB page.
--
Graeme

Graeme wrote:

presumably some of the www.ebay.co.uk, signin.ebay.co.uk, mesg.ebay.co.uk, cgi.ebay.co.uk etc hosts go direct to eBay servers, others go via Akamai, and that's where the problems happen?
Graeme wrote:

Ring them up, you can in Australia so I presume you can in the UK.

Why would they do that?

--
bert

bert wrote:

e.g. If they saw thousands of failed logins coming from a IP addr, or subnet, they might block it for 24 hours.
OK why would a commercial site want to ban anyone? I'm assuming that it has either something to do with hacking, viruses or spam. Brian
--
----- -

Standard M$ help desk answer - power off and power back on and someone else will answer your irate return call. :-)
--
bert

On 18/01/2018 15:56, bert wrote:

Or follow the nice instructions from that nice cold calling Microsoft Indian guy.
They are also cold calling on behalf of BT. I recently reported a BT fault via their on-line reporting service and a day later picked up a call by some Indian gentleman pretending to be from BT. He sounded plausible until "we have detected a foreign IP address on your network which we need to remove"!
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Some browsers etc seem to be blocking http sites. Although the Ebay address in my browser is http, actually loading it shows https in the ULR bar. I'd try changing to that and see if it now works.
--
*When blondes have more fun, do they know it?

Tried that, no difference :-(
Whilst fully accepting that eBay seem to have blocked by address, I cannot understand how my eBay home page displays when I first open Chrome. I can access the Message, Account and Applications tabs, but not Activity. I can see the list of watched items, but cannot look at any of those listed items individually, and cannot search for items. I can see a list of items for which I need to leave feedback, but cannot leave feedback. I have cleared my browsing history (ccleaner). The only thing I haven't done is clear cookies.
All functions return as soon as I fire up the VPN.
And it is snowing outside.
--
Graeme

I notice it says http, not https. Brian
--
----- -
On 16/01/2018 08:28, Graeme wrote:

It can just as easily be ebay blocking your IP address.
Have you tried a tracert to ebay.co.uk?
--
Robin

Have just done this, but I don't know what it means, except that it seems to die when it reaches eBay. This is with the VPN off :-(
Traceroute to: ebay.co.uk IP address: [66.135.201.153]
1: [192.168.1.254] dsldevice.lan ( 1 ms) ! ( 1 ms) ! ( 1 ms) ! 2: [62.3.80.21] losubs.subs.bng2.th-lon.zen.net.uk ( 22 ms) ! ( 20 ms) ! ( 20 ms) ! 3: [62.3.86.82] ae1-183.cr2.th-lon.zen.net.uk ( 23 ms) ! ( 26 ms) ! ( 22 ms) ! 4: [5.57.80.128] 10gigabitethernet5-1.core1.lon1.he.net ( 21 ms) ! ( 22 ms) ! ( 26 ms) ! 5: [72.52.92.222] 10ge2-9.core1.lon2.he.net ( 23 ms) ! ( 34 ms) ! ( 20 ms) ! 6: [72.52.92.166] 100ge4-1.core1.nyc4.he.net ( 89 ms) ! ( 98 ms) ! ( 98 ms) ! 7: [184.105.223.165] 100ge16-1.core1.ash1.he.net ( 98 ms) ! ( 99 ms) ! ( 210 ms) ! 8: [216.66.27.254] ebay-inc.10gigabitethernet1-1-40.switch5.ash1.he.net ( 93 ms) ! ( 94 ms) ! ( 93 ms) ! 9: [216.113.190.62] xe-0-2-1-den1-bcr2.bb.ebay.com ( 144 ms) ! ( 144 ms) ! ( 145 ms) ! 10: (No reply) * (No reply) * (No reply) * 11: (No reply) * (No reply) * (No reply) * 12: (No reply) * (No reply) * (No reply) * 13: (No reply) * (No reply) * (No reply) * 14: (No reply) * (No reply) * (No reply) * 15:
--
Graeme