OT: Area 51

Is this sign real?

Commander Kinsey

We got the Loch Ness monster's corpse stored there.

Reply to
devnull

Listen, tourism will dictate that the locals will do anything to preserve the notoriety of the local area.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

on 29/08/2020, devnull supposed :

and 'Paul'.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Looks authentic.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

That was one hell of a runway (nearly 9km)- now all marked with 'x'

Avpx

Reply to
The Nomad

Rachel NV needs something to support its economy. I think it's too small to even have the Nevada standard whorehouse, two girls in a trailer.

The government helps too. If someone happened to catch Boeing's Bird of Prey on a test flight it would support the legend. Even the Blackbird looked like something out of the Klingon navy.

The problem with experimental aircraft is you have to fly them sooner or later and they're a little conspicuous. I was sitting out in the woods up by Carson City at dusk when they did a test Trident launch offshore. Very subtle. I've seen daytime launches and unless you're close enough to hear them they're easy to miss. A launch at dusk caught the attention of most of the west coast.

Reply to
rbowman

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Where?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Apart from the fact that the military never called it Area 51.

Reply to
nightjar

Homey Airport aka Groom Lake was used to develop the U2 and A12 reconnaissance aircraft. They were optimised for flying at high altitude, so may have well needed a very long runway.

Reply to
nightjar

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

What is the origin of this font? Is it to deliberately look computery?

Commander Kinsey

Elaborate.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It looks to be the early OCR friendly font invented for printing on cheques or an imitation thereof.

Reply to
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

rbowman

That doesn't answer my question :-P

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Ah, OCR, I knew there was a reason.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

PMFJI

Cheques originally used MICR (Magnetic Ink Character Recognition); it does look like a faux MICR font. I used to work with that stuff in the early '70s.

Sn!pe

QIWTFA!

Could you pick up some paperwork with a magnet?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey