[OT] A hailstorm in June!

Outside temperature 23 C! Darkness! Car alarms sounding!

It must be the End of the World!

Reply to
Max Demian

Yeah, it got a little wet on my way today. Only for 5 mins.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It was belting it down at our local Morrisons so I got a bit wet going from the car into the store. Where I got funny looks because those inside were unaware of the downpour. Not a drop of rain at home, sad to say.

And the sodding badger dug up and ate the bumblebee nest.

Reply to
Tim Streater

you've got a bee in your bonnet and clearing buzzing about

Reply to
SH

It threw it down, with thunder and lightning here, this evening. There are pictures in the local paper of cars stranded on flooded roads; someone kayaking along one road; and water pouring through the roof of Costco. I have also heard that part of the roof of the local ASDA collapsed.

The weird thing is that the day before, there was similar flooding just a few miles away, while we just had brilliant sunshine.

Reply to
SteveW

Just enough rain here to deposit a spotty layer of airborne dust on my car which I cleaned yesterday.

Reply to
alan_m

No its not unusual at all to even have snow in June. I can remember one Derby day when you could not see the other side of the track because of the blizzard. Hail is possible whenever you get a lot of thermals, cold air coming from one direction and warm damp air from another after all. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A number of people with plastic greenhouses where the plastic roofing was old and milky looking now have them peppered in little holes due to the force of the hail in SW London today. It goes brittle and then cannot stand the bombardment of course. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

We had a deluge on Sunday evening. Earlier that day, I'd installed a water butt. It more or less filled up in 30 mins

Reply to
Mark Carver

Am 12/06/2023 um 16:19 schrieb Max Demian:

It's the Fr*nch's fault!

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

If you need any target practice we have some pigeons the size of chickens that shit all over our garden ornaments.

Reply to
Bob Henson

Ah. The Cruelty of the Natural World.

I have a Fscking Bunny in the front garden who is trying to make a burrow 6 feet from the house! I also have an air rifle.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That is the reality of convective rainfall. One good thermal scoops up all the moist airm concentrates it and dumps it down in a big lump

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I was given a handy tip that worked for preventing ingress of badgers should you need it. We had one that used us as a rat-run from one street to another - it dug under one fence to get in and another to get out - making a hell of a mess in the digging thereof. It even moved a stone slab that I blocked one hole with - they are tremendously strong. Anyway, hanging a cloth soaked in creosote over the ingress hole stopped the little devil. Even the modern fake creosote seems to work well.

I had a couple of falconry days out a while back and always fancied a mews of my own, but we haven't the room for the necessary facilities. The downside of birds of prey as a defence mechanism against monster pigeons is that the small birds which SWMBO likes don't come near either.

Reply to
Bob Henson

Oh, got plenty of those. One off my possible parking spots is under an ash tree, and if the sticky pollen doesnt get the car for sure huge gobs of birdshit and duck shit will. Or at least I assume its duckshit. Do ducks perch in trees for a shit?

I was amused at 'the badger' Ive got a whole f****ng sett of the bastards at the bottom of the garden in the corner of the neighbours field...next door to the bunny council estate with ASBO attracting bunnies.

Apropos of nature, red in tooth and claw, I came across the dessicated corpse of a spall bird, and wondered what on earth would bother? no meat on them. No cats here anymore either. I've seen feral ferrets tho, and owls and sparrowhawks mess up the pigeons nicely,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message <u69de7$3hshl$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, The Natural Philosopher snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid writes

A rabbit that can do Unix sysadmin, that's impressive :-)

Coat ? oh thanks, mine's the green one on the end hook.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Unix sysadmin is absolutely within a bunnies comprehension. Unix is like a penis, generally it stays up if you don't f*ck with it.

Greencoat? Yuk. At best a Barbour jacket in duckshit olive...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nope, their feet dont work on branches.

Reply to
Rod Speed

We had snow in the first week of June 1955

Reply to
wasbit

yes global cooling. 1947 was a bitter winter, so cold we made slides up the middle of the road.

Reply to
jon