One stroke engine of the future

Apologies to BG - it's a video (but the description is quite clear)

Jethro_uk

One stroke my ****.

It's got pistons in pairs, so the go towards/away from each other instead of having a cylinder head.

It has a swash plate instead of a crankshaft.

And it uses exhaust ports like a 2-stroke instead of valves like an ordinary 4-stroke engine. I suspect each piston pair runs as a 2-stroke.

They call it 1-stroke because they get two combustion events per revolution, twice as many as a 2-cylinder 2-stroke.

Or exactly what you get from a 2-cyl 2-stroke, or a 4-cyl 4-stroke.

ICBA to watch it all the way through. Snake oil.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Not found the video yet, somebody trying to con you to buy snake oil erectile disfuntion systemand another flogging off so called military flashlites. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I kept hitting bypass adds and just got more adds. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

According to the manufacturer, they know it is a 2-stroke engine, but didn't want to call it that, as people expect 2-strokes engines to run on petrol/oil mixes.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Yes. This was explained carefully.

I wouldn't say that. The narrator did complain that the 500cc engine apparently powering the Mazda in fact had a compressor (?) feeding air to the intake. Also that this engine would have relatively poor torque at low revs, and that the reason for no takeup at present (?) was that existing ICEs have

100 years of development, this has not much and the overall benefits don't amount to much.

Plus of course that if the view is that the ICE is in decline, why would one put resources into developing a new ICE at this stage.

Reply to
Tim Streater

They did imply that it would be able to run on hydrogen. I think its drawbacks make it unsuitable for automotive use. However, they also demonstrated it in a model aircraft and that is an area where its low weight might make it far more useful. It would appear to be well suited to powering small drones. It might also be useful for things like standby generators and anything else that needs to run at a steady speed.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I wouldnt be too sure about that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wouldn't say that. Having the ports separated in that way and using fuel injection means no 2-stroke oil and no unburnt fuel from the exhaust.

Maybe for drones (as suggested elsewhere) or generators, or hybrid cars where the load is fairly constant?

Still, a hell of a lot of development to compete with.

[I quite liked the six-stroke engine where water is injected after the exhaust cycle to use the heat to make steam for an extra power stroke. Suck-Squeeze-Bang-Whoosh-Hiss-Puff. You need to carry water, but you don't need a cooling system. Materials are difficult though.]
Reply to
Clive Arthur

I didn't read that far either.

AIUI supercharged 2-stroke diesels are in use in marine applications.

refers me to some other uses I didn't know about. <snip>

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

And in old buses and lorries. Have a listen to the Commer “knocker”. For a diesel it sounds positively glorious.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+