One side of the house is 70°, the other 55°

At last the sun is now out and warming the kitchen side of the house beautifully. The temperature in the kitchen (without any cooking on the go) is 70°.

But on the other side of the house, where my computer room is, the temperature is only just above 55°.

How might I shift some of the heat from one side to the other? What about light pipes?

MM

Reply to
MM

move the house around a bit?

Reply to
Vass

This is actually not as stupid as on first reading it might sound. I can remember seeing pictures of at least one house that was mounted on a turntable for this very purpose. However, my house is not on any turntable, as I suspect is the case with nearly all houses in Britain.

Any other bright ideas?

MM

Reply to
MM

Move into the kitchen. ;-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It is just the angle of the house. It is almost new and very well insulated. But the front of the house gets little sun, whereas the back, kitchen side, gets the sun all day in summer. However, my third bedroom is ideal for use as a computer room but it is located at the front of the house.

The government keep banging on about conserving energy and I feel it is such a waste to let all that heat from the sun go to waste. I am not about to put my computers in the kitchen, though!

MM

Reply to
MM

Three computers, a printer, two scanners, a modem etc etc? In the kitchen? I think not!

MM

Reply to
MM

I'm surprised that the computer room is not warmer than the kitchen. However, all you really need to move is the screen, keyboard and mouse. They can be connected by a long KVM cable or, as I do with my office, to avoid the heating effect and noise, Cat5 cable connecting KVM transmitters and receivers.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Hmmmmmmm

Modem..........How quaint !

Reply to
R obbo

They are not all on at once. One - this one - is enough to take the chill off after an hour or two, but in this cold weather I also switch a fan heater on low. Meanwhile, the rear of the house is as warm as toast. It means I do far too much reading the newspaper in the warm!

MM

Reply to
MM

Wanna slap?

MM

Reply to
MM

Do you know how cold it gets in the Fens with the wind blowing straight in off The Wash from Russia! No trees, you see.

MM

Reply to
MM

how about a fan, a big funnel and some 10 cm hose ... ;-)

Reply to
Bob Martin

Depends on the computers. Mine run cool.

Reply to
John Cartmell

If you really want to do that, you can get external USB drives. I fitted one for the office, but we never use it. It is simpler to use the local monitor and keyboard in the rack on the rare occasions we need to use an optical drive.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Now that is a darned good idea! I had thought of commissioning a satellite mirror, but this is far better. And probably available from B&Q.

MM

Reply to
MM

Eh? How will the pump do this? The air is heated in the kitchen by dint of the sunlight flooding in. How is the central heating involved?

MM

Reply to
MM

Ah, now this is an idea I also had myself. But then I thought, we use fans in summer to cool us down, so why wouldn't this cooling effect be stronger than any warming effect? But yes, if I could transfer the sunlight-heated air from that side of the house to this, I'd be laughing. Perhaps I will experiment with some ducting and a fan heater on one end with the heating element turned off.

Where can one buy ducting?

MM

Reply to
MM

Yep, I think we getting closer to a breakthrough here. Dunno whether a funnel would be needed. If the air is sucked out of the kitchen and blown into another room, that should work without a funnel.

I'm getting quite excited now. And even that is having a warming effect. Oi, Martha! Open the window! It's like a ruddy oven in here!

Only kidding. It's hovering around 60° this morning.

MM

Reply to
MM

panels look ugly, leaning up against the sills like that. However, the site in question looks interesting, so I'll have a closer look.

Don't understand your last comment?

MM

Reply to
MM

|At last the sun is now out and warming the kitchen side of the house |beautifully. The temperature in the kitchen (without any cooking on |the go) is 70?.

Put TRVs on all your radiators, so that as soon as solar heating kicks in the radiators in that room shut down.

Open all doors to allow air to circulate.

|But on the other side of the house, where my computer room is, the |temperature is only just above 55?.

Improve the insulation of the house, particularly the walls, so that the internal skin of the walls acts as a storage heater. No part of my house falls to 55 deg F at night.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop