OK So it is not the thermostat..

And suceeding as the back is all iced up... I guess it might be low on gas but doesn't that lead to the compressor running all the time (thus getting hot) but with out enough heat pump effect to cool things down? Which is why the compressor is running all the time.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's good news, means the cooling system works fine, but the control system doesn't. The compressor is too hot because it's running continuously.

If you can't get the original sorted you could mount a stat bulb on the interior rear plastic. The stat would need to be able to switch at just above freezing.

There is a simple bodge option too. Run it on a plug-in timer, adjusting the duty cycle to get the right temp. Works, but would need permanent monitoring with a thermometer and occasional duty cycle adjusting. Better to fix or replace.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Low on "gas" aka refrigerant WILL lead to the compressor running all of the time. The backplate should show light NOT thick ice, which will melt when the temp has been achieved and drain onto a cap on top of the compressor where it will evaporate.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

when it's low enough that it can't cool enough yes. We know that's not the case this time.

Some fridges/freezers gurgle from new, yet work ok.

so we know it's cooling enough but the stat isn't stopping it

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Further clarification... neither of us can remember when this fridge was purchased. Google has not helped although I guess the serial number would mean something to a Hotpoint service dept. I am ready to accept that it bears a strong resemblance to the African Parrot:-)

The replacement thermostat at ?15 or so seemed a worthwhile punt.

My limited understanding of the operation is that the back of the fridge/chiller plate should reach something like -20deg C and trip out the capillary thermostat. Due to lack of gas or tired compressor this is not happening. (light frosting, not blocks of ice)

We are likely to be living here for at least 3 more months and showing potential purchasers round. Once sold, we will remain near neighbours so workable bodges probably not a good thing.

Digging out the insulation to expose the end of the capillary is doable but I can't see any reason why it could have moved from the manufactured position.

Something similar off the shelf ?200.00

Thanks all.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

If the fridge is getting cold enough, which it is if it's icing, the coolin g circuit works sufficiently with a very hot compressor. It'll be colder wh en it's running at correct duty cycle.

If it didn't gurgle before, all is not well. Otherwise no worries.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr