Oiled Wood Worktop

Folks, Oddly I have what I think is an "on-topic" post.

I have an oak topped "Peninsula" or bar in my kitchen. Despite being oiled as specified, its started to feel a little rough in places and has a couple of minor scratches.

What would folks recommend for re-finishing the top?

Fine Sandpaper? Wire Wool? Scrapper?

.. on a similar not I have some oak veneered doors which were just left bear. Could these be oiled? If so whats the best way to remove any greasy finger marks? Turps?

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Furry ?

Reply to
mm0fmf

Grizzly

Reply to
Andy Bennett

And smelling strongly of salmon!

Reply to
mm0fmf

Oh yes, I remember those :-)

Re-oil with the same product. One of the nice things about oil finishes is the ease of touching up the finish.

Sandpaper, or if particularly bad, then a card scraper. Beware of wire wool on oak since any fragments of steel left can discolour the oak black, and the steel will react with the tannins in the wood.

Apply the oil in thin coats and wire off any excess before it dries. Use at least three coats. (you can apply additional coats relatively soon after the previous one - hours rather than days)

Yup, or mild detergent and water. Note that the water may raise the grain a little, so knocking back with fine sandpaper before might be necessary.

Reply to
John Rumm

Any damage will need sanding (obvs.), working through the grits to about

150. For general refinishing I use scotchbrite pads, with a backing block to avoid dishing. As JR has said - don't use steel wire wool.

If they *really* are unfinished then use scotchbrite pads with white spirit. I've used Osmo wood wax on doors, and Fiddes oil wax on floors (because I found an article on-line reviewing the different brands of oil finishes and concluding that Fiddes was more robust.

Reply to
nothanks

I usually use Osma Polyx oil on bare wood products..... two coats via a CLEAN and LINT FREE cloth... wipe on, then wipe off, don't let it pool... Rinse and repeat to build up 3 thin coats.

S.

Reply to
SH

They are just bare wood , as delivered from Wickes I think. I had forgotten about scotchbrite.

Well yes I have some oak floor which is badly marked. I was putting that off till later. Not sure if the blocks are solid or veneered. If the latter its going to be a big job to fix...

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Once you've been over the doors with scotchbrite and white spirit it's fairly obvious if anywhere needs more work. Also, an oil finish can be easily touched-up if there's an area that needs rework.

I think this is it, but I'm surprised that it's from 2016 so it might be worth a look around for something more recent:

nothanks

Just periodic light sanding, oiling and wiping off. IME it will look better as it gets a few more light scratches - that way they become part of it rather than standing out.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Just so the OP doesn't get confused, presume your predictive text said 'wire off' when you meant 'wipe off'.

Reply to
wasbit

Yup sorry, my fat fingers!

Wipe off indeed.