Number of sink bowls?

Hi,

I've found soaking the worst bits overnight in a strong solution of laundry detergent (I use 'Shout' stain remover) makes a big difference.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Mike Tomlinson typed

I find my half bowl useful for:

1) washing hands after using my basinless downstairs loo. 2) Soaking stuck-on dishes. 3) Putting large or greasy things to soak while I do the other washing up. 4) Rinsing muddy veg and keeping soil out of my washing up.
Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

That depends on two things:

A - do you care if your kitchen sink always looks dirty?

and

B - do you enjoy cleaning?

If the answer to A is No and/or the answer to B is Yes then no, it doesn't matter.

An unscratched sink can be cleaned with just a wipe. A scratched sink needs cleaning and often bleaching.

I hate housework but I like a clean kitchen, therefore I would never have a plastic bowl in the sink.

All that quite apart from the fact that it looks really naff...

Reply to
Geoffrey

The Lakeland big plastic bowl can be found on;-

haven't got it out of the garage to check - but it's about four inches deep. The URL gives 21+3/4 " x 15+3/4" but doesn't give a depth. It helps when doing racks etc. because one can keep the rack submerged. When attempting to clean such items in the sink before acquiring it one has to do the racks as 'a game of two halves'. I've never had any problem ;- AAA balancing it over the 1+1/2 sink; BBB filling it from the taps; CCC (carefully) emptuing the water into the sink bowl.

HTH

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

In message , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

How about a full two bowl sink? Not very common, but I find it dead useful. Indeed I am replacing a 'orrible composite two-bowl with a new stainless of the same pattern.

DB116 about halfway down the page.

Stuff can pile up / soak in one bowl, then get washed in the second bowl.

Reply to
Steven Briggs

Alternatively, your local garden centre will have a potting up tray, probably at a lower price. Works equally well and has holes for the brushes etc to stand up in.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

IME EVERYTHING scratches a SS sink. Just get used to the patina!

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

I thought all loos had to have hand-washing facilities as a requirement?

Mungo

Reply to
Mungo

Ewwwwww. Wouldn't you rather wash your hands in a wash basin?

Reply to
Steve Firth

"Mungo" typed

I think that's right, but the loo was there when I moved in. I don't know how long ago it was installed, or whether some building regs exception was made. (I think this was the case when my late grandmother had similar installed a while ago)

I am not minded to make a fuss, can't see any space for a washbasin and NEED that loo...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

It doesn't ...

It IS satisfying, but I only need to give a quick wipe round the sink once a day - unless he's been cleaning paint brushes or the like :-)

Bleaching? Oh come on!

Our sink was second hand when we got it, in the 1970s. It's stainless steel, substantial and has a draner at each side. This was in the days before 1

1/2sinks, which I could never understand so haven't been tempted to replace it. If it ain't broke ... I like a capacious sink in which I can clean 30lb honey buckets, fill watering cans (before we fitted an outside tap and then installed butts), I sometimes like to hand wash large woollen items in the sink and it works well for that. Occasionally I need to gut a hare or skin a duck over the sink, modern ones aren't big enough to catch the debris. If I need to clean a large piece of timber, plastic or metal I need space.

Something I intensely dislike about many modern sinks is that they're 'set in' counter tops rather than being integral with the drainers. That means that you have to lean further over to use them, which would be bad for my back and, I suggest, most people's.

I don't think a plastic bowl isn't clean. Modern onesare extremely easy to keep clean with just a wipe.

Well, I have more important and indeed interesting things to look at than my sink :-)

I've just re-read the body of the postabove andrealise that the subjectwasa plasticsing.

Well, they ARE awful and scratch easily and perhaps DO need bleaching, I wouldn't give one houseroom. We don't even have them in the caravans or tent.

I apologise for misunderstanding.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Agreed. We used to have a good old (1960's) integral stainless sink/drainer that covered the entire double base unit instead of the worktop. This was far better at containing splashes and spills than the current smaller inset units, I'd like to fit something similar when we refit the current kitchen but they seem hard to find now, anyone know of a decent source of supply?

Reply to
Mike Clarke

You can get cistern-top washbasins for minimal space installs.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Andy Dingley typed

Yebbut this loo is below a staircase and there's no available height there.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Could you please provide a link to the cistern-top washbasins you refer to. It might be the answer to my problems.

Google turns up very little

Thanks

Reply to
mikes

Maybe by current regs. But they don't need to be applied retrospectively ..

My upstairs loo is basin-less as installed in the 50's. My new loo, signed off by the BCO, needed a specific size opening window, waste pipes with a specific diameter and drop and I provided handwash facilities, whether required by regs or not (!)

Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

Don't have one to hand - I suspect the ones I saw may have been Japanese in origin. I think one of the posh bathroom shops in Bristol has them.

Reply to
Andy Dingley