Not TV wall mounting

It depends on your sitting position while watching. If you sit more or less upright, then the horizontal centre line of the screen should be more or less at eye level.

If you watch slouched back, then higher, but then the height is governed by the viewing distance of course.

Reply to
Mark Carver

Google "ergonomic tv install".

They play with the arithmetic, here.

"If the height of your TV is 30 inches, the middle 10 inches are what you're generally fixated on."

"A quick calculation tells you the base of your TV (and table top of your TV stand) should be around 25 inches from the floor. This gives you a comfortable viewing range of 35-45 inches high and the center of the screen right at your 40-inch eye level."

In that example, somebody thinks their eyeballs are 40 inches off the floor. And they're trying to align those eyeballs, with the center line of the TV.

Computer monitors are different. Computer monitors, you align your eyeballs with the top of the screen, and all of your views are done "slightly downward". Doing the arithmetic in that case, you'll discover there are practical limits as to how large a computer monitor could be, and still have the "eyeballs along top of screen" met.

Don't ask me why the two have different rules.

The rules in a movie theater are a compromise, as if you've ever sat in the front row, that's hard on your neck. Most other locations in a theater, seem to be OK.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Many many years ago, pretty well at the start of TV, the BBC investigated strain for those who would be watching TV all the working day - like the racks engineers who adjust the exposure etc on every camera.

Their conclusion was the monitor/TV should be below eye height.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Yes, although (and I've done lots of it) using a racking monitor requires concentration, so your brain uses the same configuration as reading a book, or working on your laptop. You're much closer to a racking monitor as well. It's a psychological thing too, I find watching a telly prog (as opposed to technical assessment) on such a screen very tiring. Likewise doing the same on a control monitor wall, where you are 'looking up'. Horses for courses

Reply to
Mark Carver

My desktop monitors are mounted so that the eyeline is at the top quarter of the screens. Perhaps a shade high but it encourages me to sit up rather than slouching. Also (more importantly) that leaves room for a couple of laptops open underneath them.

My main TV is centred at eyeline for the sofa, while "sitting up" in armchairs the eyeline is close to the top.

Reply to
newshound

Thinking back to TC, where things were built from scratch, racks didn't sit close to the monitors. Nothing like as close as you'd sit to a computer monitor these days. They were at pretty well the correct viewing distance as recommended for that TV size in the day.

Of course where space was tight - OB vehicles etc - perhaps a different matter. And these days too where most control rooms have lots and lots of screens.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Remember going to physio at hospital for a bad back years ago. Lots of charts on the wall showing you how to avoid it in future. And remember them also showing you shouldn't look up to a computer monitor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

The last time I went to a cinema, the reclining, motorised, armchair style seats, made being in the front row perfectly comfortable.

Reply to
Steve Walker

But. in CAR & Standards Converter Area monitors were as close as my computer monitot. Only a narrow (big enough for foolscap paper) shelf betweem the eye & the screen/

Reply to
charles

waist high (40+ inches) is over 1/3 way up, how high are your ceilings?

doubt you find many at the lower heights to nose at, are show houses still fitted with 9/10ths scale furniture?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Unless they are going to let you sit there and watch a one hour TV programme on the screen (unlikely) you're not going to be able to gauge anything useful

Reply to
Mark Carver

Which is pretty much how they are today in all contemporary OB trucks and studio galleries

Reply to
Mark Carver

Neighbours and she is blaming both me and her husband.

They got married 4 weeks ago:-)

Reply to
ARW

Oh yes.

Not by lying to the neighbours who had just bought the TV - but there is a good chance of blaming the delivery driver.

Great minds think alike.

Reply to
ARW

The new van is working fine[1].

It's a 14 plate and coming up to 80,000 miles. 10,000 of which I have done since I got it in August.

[1] Well sort off - it seems to have 3 second power cuts every now and again.
Reply to
ARW

Tell her you tripped over Toby ?

Reply to
Andrew

She's only blaming you for the telly I hope.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

I was in Tesco this evening and saw Toshiba 70 inch TV sets for 600 quid.....

Just how *big* is this 2 grand TV?

Reply to
SH

82" are only £1500 in Argos
But if you want OLED and built-in smart apps that will stop working after a couple of years, you might be spending more.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

But racks, surely, are the only place where you're concentrating on several screens all the working day?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News