(no-heat) bank query

Seen some threads plugging heat banks (again). Pandora was mentioned. The Pandora diagram shows the hot water being pumped through the heat exchanger. Surely that means no lecy no hot water? Don't fancy that. I've got a Premier unvented system, great concept, shame about the tank but don't expect to change for a while. Perhaps naively I've assumed the cold would have flowed through the heat, not the other way round. Right or wrong?

Alan

Reply to
Alan James

Indeed. Electrical failure would disable the hot water system immediately. Obviously, any storage system would fail to regenerate after a power cut. However, a cylinder (vented or unvented) would provide hot water until it ran out. The importance of this might depend on the reliability of your electricity supply. As we seem to have a mean time between power cuts of approximately ten years, it wasn't something I considered important. It's not like a combi would be any better.

If I understand you right, you are thinking of would be described as a thermal store, where the cold mains water flows through a coil contained within the cylinder which is heated from the boiler. An unvented cylinder, on the other hand, has the cold mains as the body of the water, heated by the boiler circuit contained in the coil.

There are many permutations that are possible, each with their own advantages and disadvantages.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

In article , Christian McArdle writes