New workshop roof?

The workshop roof has collapsed in the recent high winds. I'm wondering what my options are to replace it.

It's 20-something feet square, breezeblock construction with big windows down one side and a big door. The old roof was cheap clear PVC corrugations at a very shallow (but not flat) pitch. Having far too much transparent surface and no insulation whatsoever, the place was boiling in the summer (45=B0C once !) and freezing in the winter, with terrible condensation problems dripping from the roof.

The PVC is of uncertain age but it's clearly now brittle and one sheet has failed completely. The only option is total replacement, probably with some haggling with the landlord for them to stump up some money for decent materials and I'll do the work. The timber underneath isn't generous and needs some patching, but it's no big deal.

What to replace it with though? I'm thinking of double wall polycarb, maybe in bronze to keep the summer sun down. I wonder if I could go completely opaque though. I don't need the sunlight _that_ much and any winter warmth is a bonus.

Any advice?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I would use either triple wall (or even 5 wall) polycarb or insulated steel box profile. I've used both in different situations. Both are easy to work with, and allow you to put up a watertight roof in very little time, with very little effort.

Polycarb is lighter and easier to handle, but the room will get hot, even if you use opal or bronze, it will get *hot*. This is great in the winter, but can be extremely inconvenient in the summer. I used opal polycarb on a north facing leanto, which was completely in the house's shadow, and it still used to reach 35C + in the summer.

Insulated steel box profile is made up of a top layer of ~1.2mm steel, a thickness of PU foam (anything between 30mm and 90mm, you choose), and a bottom layer of steel. Both steel sheets are coated in polyester, and won't rust. It is heavier, and a little more difficult to handle/install. The main advantages over polycarb is that the room stays cool, you get a lot less rain noise, and it is very insulating.

For polycarb, these guys are very good:

note they have a new product called Heat Guard Opal, which has a light transmission of only 7% for the 5 wall. I've not used this, but it may be a good option.

For box profile:

Grunff

It's 20-something feet square, breezeblock construction with big windows down one side and a big door. The old roof was cheap clear PVC corrugations at a very shallow (but not flat) pitch. Having far too much transparent surface and no insulation whatsoever, the place was boiling in the summer (45°C once !) and freezing in the winter, with terrible condensation problems dripping from the roof.

The PVC is of uncertain age but it's clearly now brittle and one sheet has failed completely. The only option is total replacement, probably with some haggling with the landlord for them to stump up some money for decent materials and I'll do the work. The timber underneath isn't generous and needs some patching, but it's no big deal.

What to replace it with though? I'm thinking of double wall polycarb, maybe in bronze to keep the summer sun down. I wonder if I could go completely opaque though. I don't need the sunlight _that_ much and any winter warmth is a bonus.

Any advice? #

Foam insulated steel profile sheets, cheap, easy, quick, warm, everything you need in fact.

Reply to
mrcheerful

In message , "Andy Dingley " writes

I think you should find a better location. I just happen to have.....:-)

Almost any replacement is going to need more support than you sound to have. Intermediate support posts? I suppose you are never going to achieve proper snow load or windage performance.

There was an earlier thread on something like this. Cement fibre is v. heavy and needs jointing, tricky if you have less than 15 degrees slope but comes with clear panels for light. You will still get condensation under the lights.

I'm currently using some composite steel panels which have a fire rated foam sandwich between two rolled steel sheets, choice of colours and should do 20' in one run, usually 1m wide. Not very heavy and you can get acrylic matching lights. Steadmans or...

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

either whitewash or white sheet underneath for summer.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

either whitewash or white sheet underneath for summer.

Alternatively you could use the new glazing to make a new solar panel roof and connect it to the house, if its not too far. Warm air panels are cheap and simple, especially when the glazing's already paid for.

NT

Reply to
meow2222