New toilet...how far from wall?

I'm putting a close coupled toilet in the corner. How far from the side wall should it be as a minimum?

mark

Reply to
mark

How lardy is the largest user going to be? Lardy users have to splay their legs apart too. Please don't ask me how I know this.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

I shan't be letting pan crackers anywhere near it. Apparently BS 6465 covers dimensions

The pdf can be downloaded here for only £178

mark

redirects to the BSI page after you have entered your library card number)

Reply to
John Rumm

LOL, a very important question. The loo at a mate of mine is so close to the wall, unless you're a southpaw you can't wipe your backside.

Reply to
brass monkey

Another one I came across, a loo fitted under a sloping ceiling. The girl who lived in that flat unfortuately fell for a 6'6" tall guy. He discovered, with practice, that he could pee into it if he stood in the doorway and aimed across the room...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

By "into", you mean "around and into"? ;-)

Reply to
Adam Funk

Far enough clearance so your knees don't hit the wall, and it's annoying how many are too close, being designed for skinny dwarves.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In our designs we use a guideline measurement of a toilet needing a space 8=

00mm wide, so 400mm from the centre to the wall. You can get away with a sm= idgen less if you have to, but that is fairly comfortable. You'll need a bi= t more if that wall has a heated towel rail on it, positioned just where yo= ur knees go - I've seen that done a couple of times. A
Reply to
andrew

In message , mark writes

To avoid just this problem I have opted for a *yet to be fitted* corner cistern loo. (Twyford GP1148)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

12 inches from the centreline of the toilet to the sidewall (or other obstr= uction, like sink). Most men are only about 18" wide or less in total so th= at leaves three inches of clearance. That's a minimum of course, you can in= crease this dimension. I have fitted my two bathroom's toilets to this dime= nsion and it's very practical, unless you are 6'5" and play American footba= ll and are wearing the gear to the toilet ;0) 14" is the recommended space either side of a bidet to allow you to spread = your legs, but who has one of these infernal French contraptions anyway?

The clearance in front of the toilet (from the front rim) is a minimum of 2=

4".
Reply to
eeyore.is.here

I'm 6'4" and on the lardy side, just measured current loo at 16" centre to wall, which is fine, 14" would be OK but allow for less "splay" and

12" would be "tight" on knees and elbows.
Reply to
Andy Burns

Like I said, it's a minimum - I'm 5'10" and average build and 12" from the = loo centreline to the sidewall is fine - both my loos are set at this dista= nce. I cite as my 'authority' *ahem*, not just the fact that my loos are se= t at this distance, but the Collins Complete DIY Manual which in turn I sus= pect got its distances from an actual recommended practice document.

But sure, if I were 6'5" and built like a...brick sh1thouse...I might prefe= r a few extra inches room. Depends on the size of the loo as well. Mine are= small and you have to pack a lot in. One side of my bathroom sink overhang= s the tap end side of the bath a little for instance.

Reply to
eeyore.is.here

centreline to the sidewall is fine - both my loos are set at this distance. I cite as my 'authority'*ahem*, not just the fact that my loos are set at this distance, but the Collins Complete DIY Manual which in turn I suspect got its distances from an actual recommended practice document.

few extra inches room. Depends on the size of the loo as well. Mine are small and you have to pack a lot in. One side of my bathroom sink overhangs the tap end side of the bath a little for instance.

I'm 6'1" and trying not to be 13 stone. And 12 inches might be OK - just - as a quick measure gets me as 20 inches across the shoulders. I think I'd bang my elbows a lot.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I heard a few weeks ago that the BSI have (had?) temporarily disabled external BSI access via libraries due to 'misuse'

Reply to
The Other Mike

They're worried someone might read the documents?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Just tried it from the Essex libraries site and it seems to be working normally.

Or worse, compile a list of those which are content free and they would like to charge over £100 for!

Reply to
John Rumm

I think it was a case of 'at home' the method of access and a flaw in Acrobat meant that users could download copies that were then distributable thus bypassing the normal BSI 'subscription'

Commercial BSI subscriptions in my experience always carry an overprint in the margins to identify where, when, and by whom the document was downloaded (easily cropped of course) but I believe that some (all?) library derived copies were 'clean'

Reply to
The Other Mike

That is still the case - even if it does not allow for explicit download (which it normally does), you can copy the file from the temp directory while "viewing" the doc.

Yup the home downloaded ones also state the library they are from (although I can't see an obvious unique id for the downloaded).

The marking is on the left of the page, and can be cropped off in the full version of acrobat.

Reply to
John Rumm