New Plaster Paint: recovery plan.... :)

Hi All,

I'd imagine this has been answered before but I can't find a succinct answer. Story so far:

1) Walls been re-plastered. 2) Waited 2 weeks, as recommended by plasterer. 3) First coat dilute 25%. 4) Remaining 3 coats normal

And joy of joys I've got cracks and blisters in the painting (bathroom ceiling and hall walls). Whether I didn't dilute enough, or that store paint was false economoy - I don't know.

What I really need help with is how to fix the problem?!

1) peel and sand back the cracks and blisters (an unpleasant thought) 2) first coat dilute, again. 3) repaint as normal

Should I use surface filler, or PVA or some other clever method I've not heard of. I'm concerned the cracks and flakes will show once painted over.

I'd appreciate any help, this has really got me frustrated, and I don't want to do it again just to see the same happen...

Thanks, John - a painting Idiot!

Reply to
jghattersley

I had the kitchen walls and ceiling plastered today, and the plasterer told me that they can be painted after only 4 days...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

A lot of this depends on the extent of the plastering (e.g. reskim verses full plaster) and the type of paint used. No details were given on either count. No details were given on which coat failed to stick.

I would suggest waiting at least a week after the plaster looks dry (returned to light colour) and then you would be OK with matt emulsion (first coat diluted, more the more shiney the plaster finish). Any paint which seals the surface (silk, gloss, and kitchen/bathroom paints) should wait longer, until you're sure the plaster is completely dry. There are special matt emulsions for using on wet plaster, but I've never tried them.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Not Crown paint is it ? Only ever fine "spider like" cracking with Crown paint on new plaster.

I peeled, scraped, sanded it the cracked paint off, sanded, weak PVA'ed, re-skimmed, re-sealed with proper Dulux plaster sealer followed by two Dulux Vinyl Sheen coats. That was years ago and looks fine.

Reply to
Ian_m

Thanks for the replies..sorry, here's more detail

1) Plaster was all re-skim, also noticed that it has happened over painted walls too, but not as much. Predominately in the corners, but not exclusively. 2) Paint is emulsion matt (hall) and satin (bathroom) 3) Paint is B&Q 'Colour' range.

I really don't want to re-skim (plastering is an art form that I beats me). Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Reply to
jghattersley