New oil CH boiler required in the near future

I wish, 2 x 2000 l fillups a year. We'll need one in about 3 weeks time, so with the price still falling and possibly sub 40p this fill will be about 2/3 the cost of the last one. ie under £800 against over £1000.

Aye, large, high and exposed. It's warm outside ATM around 5 C, but the wind is blowing a bit F5, so the stat has been calling for heat from 0600 to 1000, off for 30 mins and just back on. 30 kW+ boiler into thermal store running at about a 50% duty cycle. It's been on

2.5 hours since midnight, burns in the order of 4 l/hr.

I don't mind two pairs of socks and a jumper but others seem to wrap up as if they are on an arctic expedition and *still* complain of being cold.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

'kin'ell! should be already less than 40p including VAT?

at what point does it become "uninhabitable"?

time for some exercise equipment linked to the telly?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Why not have both? Improving the insulation is really a separate issue.

I changed the boiler when I did because I wanted to fit a non condensing one, also I was not at all sure about how easily I could get spares for a boiler that might well be 25-30 years old. In the winter I would need these quickly if something failed. This did happen one New Year's eve. In the end the local boiler maintenance people gave me an old (used) version the critical part I needed.

Most of the burner components were Danfoss. .

Reply to
Michael Chare

/Why not have both?  Improving the insulation is really a separate issue. /q

Er.... So why haven't you?

& shurely the better insulated the building the less fuel you'd burn to war m it??

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

True enough but it depends on how easy it is to insulate the building. Modern boxes with cavity walls: POP, days work, done, not disruption inside. Solid walls are a little different...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

/Solid walls are a little different... /q

Not too bad once you get started :-)

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

s well just refurbish them all and keep it. Changing for a year is pointles s. What can't you find? Pump? Motor? Er photocell? Er...

Thanks all for your comments. Interestingly my reading is that I should be applying the same philosophy as my ancient Mother's ancient gas boiler - c ast iron body, etc. that her maintenance man says she shouldn't replace.

Certainly my pay back on a new boiler would be poor as I only expect to use 1200l of oil a year.

Jim K - the weak part of the Boulter boiler appears to be flame spreader bo x ("combustion chamber baffle") - it has refractory material on it to spre ad the flame from the Riello burner and do not seem to be available. My re build of the refractory part lasts about 2 years.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I wrote that more than 24 hours ago and the price has fallen over a cliff in the last few days. Have a look at the price charts on Bolier Juice but remember their prices (at least for me) are normally 1 to

2p/l more than the local suppliers. Think I'm going to keep a very close eye on the expected price, 'cause I expect when it starts to rise again it'll rise as fast as it was falling.

When we run out of socks, jumpers, blankets and duvets. B-)

Been hovering about freezing point most of today outside and there is a heavy sugar frosting of snow lying about.

How would that help? We don't watch much telly. Linked to the server, switches, modems etc on the other hand...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

/I wrote that more than 24 hours ago and the price has fallen over a cliff in the last few days./q

Steadyish decline since end of Oct.

/ Have a look at the price charts on Bolier Juice but remember their prices (at least for me) are normally 1 to

2p/l more than the local suppliers. Think I'm going to keep a very close eye on the expected price, 'cause I expect when it starts to rise again it'll rise as fast as it was falling. /q

Boilerjuice is run by a cartel of suppliers.. I always pay less than them and mostly less than trend on cheapestoil.

Worldwide recession, plenty oil sloshing as no one keen to cut production.... It'll take a fair bit of international politicing to turn that lot around soon...

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

/Jim K - the weak part of the Boulter boiler appears to be flame spreader box ("combustion chamber baffle") - it has refractory material on it to spread the flame from the Riello burner and do not seem to be available/q

What model name/number?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

We have a village syndicate. Beat them comfortably.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

/We have a village syndicate. Beat them comfortably./q

Yes been pondering that, are 'difficuit access' deliveries acceptable on those schemes? Or is it only a fo tanker and all 'straightforward access' drops done on one tanker route?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Go back a year on cheapest oil and you'll see a markedly steeper fall in price during January. Look at the last month and it dropped 4p/l from 4 Jan to 9 Jan about the same as it fell from 11 Dec > 4 Jan.

Didn't boilerjuice get a bollocking a year or so back about pretending to be independant but wasn't, GB Oil(*), being involved somewhere. It was then carved off to some extent. the T&C's now state the site is run by BoilerJuice Limited wholly owend by Welsummer ltd.

There has been a world wide recession for quite a while, production hasn't been cut, prices have been "high" until comparatively recently. Looking at what I've been paying for diesel, it rose from

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And how does the timing work? We'll be needing a fill "soon", the spreadsheet is predicting 1 Feb but if it stays cold and windy that could easily come forward a week or more. Currently it would be a bit tight, if not too tight, to fit 2000l into the tank.

I guess not all syndicate members have to buy for a particular delivery. How much oil do you have to commit to to get a decent discount? I get some for buying a mere 2000l rather than the more usual domestic quantity of 900 or 1000l.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

/This sudden drop doesn't "feel right", I sort of wonder if "they" are letting the price plumment to try and reduce the money supply to ISIS / Al-Qaeda. /q

And the russians...

Isn't this the 'normal' post Xmas price dip set against a novel falling price background?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Naah, the Saudis are trying to bankrupt the American shale oil/gas industry.

Reply to
Huge

When we ordered they asked us.

As it happens we're easy access.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

We bought 1000 last time, but we've bought 500 before.

I suggest you google for "village oil syndicate" and read some of the clubs. There may even be one nearby.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris