New flat roof has standing water (+link)

It's fine. Why would it not be fine?

I've seen a flat-roofed extension, about 10,000 by 5,000 (!) that lasted over 30 years. It had a large pool in the middle, AFAIR up to 25 deep.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The hydraulic effect of rain landing on the roof is more likely to give rise to a leak than 1/2" of head. The roof is either waterproof, or it isn't.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Yes but there're made out of bitumen or pitch and are quite thick far more so than what we have here.

Anyway if its totally flat it'll still drain won't it!......

Reply to
tony sayer

True - but if it isn't waterproof e.g. with a small pinhole or bad seam joint, it could let in gallons of water if it gathers, but very little if there is a fall. Thats why you can't have a flat tiled roof but a sloping one is perfectly OK. Flat roofs are notoriously leaky.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
owdman