New Consumer Unit

I'm having a new consumer unit fitted following some work in the kitchen.

I have always preferred MK kit but any recommendations for a CU? I think I saw a recommendation for something beginning with 'Ha..' in here but I can't find it now. It would be good to have one that only kills the circuit with a problem rather than everything if that's possible.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Hager?

Reply to
AlanD

And IMHO better than MK.

And to the OP have a read of

ARWadsworth

That's it, thanks AlanD :-)

If I specify a Hager Insulated Flexible Dual 63A RCD Consumer Unit as per:

seems I'll have the most flexible (and expensive) option, does that make sense?

Is it flexible enough to include 2 x Economy 7 circuits with the ordinary domestic stuff?

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

> it seems I'll have the most flexible (and expensive) option, does that > make sense?

The most expensive option is one RCBO per circuit (the fully independant sort)

In that case you may need a dual tarrif CU. What's your current set up (two fuse boxes)?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Can you suggest a model that takes one RCBO per circuit?

Yes, 2 fuse boxes at the moment.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

It might be better to keep it that way.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

  1. All sockets up to 20A for general use... 2. All circuits in a bathroom... 3. All circuits buried in a wall at less than 50mm and without mechanical protection.

So, in my shop (the one with the crack in the corner of the bearly-accessible Wylex board): Alarm: no Lights: no Sockets: yes. Next time I do any refurb work, rather than destory the meter cupboard and put a RCB CU in, I could just put a single RCBO on the sockets circuit. I think I've got a boxed 32A RCB floating around somewhere.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

If you do not do any electrical work on the refurb then you need do nothing to to the fusebox apart from fixing the crack (unless the Scots have different rules).

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Like having different rules for shops and dwellings like in England?

Reply to
dennis