New Ceiling Joists - 400 or 600mm centres?

Really quick question - installing a new false ceiling - 8ft span holding nothing other than 9.5mm plasterboard and recessed downlights. I'm planning on running 2" x 4" joists on 600mm centres - anyone see a problem with this? There is no access above so nobody will be standing on these.

Cheers!

Andy

Reply to
Pecanfan

600 is ok for 9.5mm plasterboard, 400mm is much better and not much more expensive. personally, I'd do 400mm centres.

RT

Reply to
[news]

For 600c/s you really need 12.5mm plasterboard

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Mmm... fit 4 extra joists or lift heavier plasterboard... think I might go for 400 centres in that case. Cheers for the replies.

Andy

Reply to
Pecanfan

2400x1200x12.5 are heavy, extremely heavy to lift and place without assistance. I used 2400x900s Much easier, and 9mm are lighter (but more fragile) and easier to handle.
Reply to
<me9

Personally, with no possibility of being stood on, I'd be happy with 600mm centres.

However, I would still use 12.5mm plasterboard, if only for fire safety reasons, especially if it is a kitchen. You may be required to do so by building control. Check first.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

If you use 9.5mm plasterboard at 600c/s the risk is of it sagging slightly under its own weight over time.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

600m centres require 1/2 inch plasterboard, else it sags.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

I suggest you use smaller boards, thay are much easier to use, and not much different in the cost. I used 6x3

Rick

Reply to
Rick

I found making a "dead man" helped a great deal. Get a 2x1" and cut it 4 inches longer than the floor to new ceiling height. Cut another 2' length and screw it across one end of the long 2x1" to form a large "T".

You can then offer the board to the ceiling and wedge it in place with the dead man by springing it in the middle. It holds the other end nicely while you stick a screw in the first end. Managed to do three ceilings using 8x4' 12.5mm sheets on my own that way[1].

[1] Note that these were 7'4" ceilings and I am 6'3", so it was easy for me to work from the floor - it would be much harder on your own if doing it from a ladder or if you are of more dinky dimensions!
Reply to
John Rumm

I used two of those, and after one room gave up, and went for the narrower board. Ceilings were 7'8" and I'm 5'10", just too short to work off the floor. I needed assistance in fine tuning the position of the boards.

Reply to
<me9