Never boring :-)

Got a job a week or so ago "gutters overflowing" after a ridiculously heavy downpour.

No problem, nipped up the ladder - only nothing in the gutter, no blockage in down pipe bend. One join looked a bit iffy, so I remade & sealed it. Couldn't find anything wrong.

Got another call from the customer today, after another heavy downpour.

Back up the ladder, no change, still all clear.

Concluded that the down pipe must be blocked lower down, possibly where it entered an earthenware socket leading to a soak away.

It certainly was :-)

The Medway Handyman

Got a job a week or so ago "gutters overflowing" after a ridiculously heavy downpour.

No problem, nipped up the ladder - only nothing in the gutter, no blockage in down pipe bend. One join looked a bit iffy, so I remade & sealed it. Couldn't find anything wrong.

That's why they have watchdog for people like you

Reply to
Judith

On Tuesday 12 November 2013 21:09 Judith wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Yawn...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I have a watchdog for ripping lumps out of demented cyclists ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Judith the Unbeliever...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Steady Bob, my legs are too bloody hairy to wear a skirt! Besides, having taken TMH out of the bin to have a look at his post, on this rare occasion what (posted and) did, seemed reasonable to me - assuming of course that he charged a fair rate for the job and cured any perceived problems.

As for Judith and "watchdog", I thought that was 'bitchy'. ;-)

That's enough being nice to TMH and back to the bin with him.

Reply to
Unbeliever

How can hairy legs stop you from wearing a skirt? Not that I am suggesting that you have ever worn a skirt.

Reply to
ARW

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

I've had exactly the same thing with two soakaways (except that the roots were nearly up to the gutter). In times of drought, the roots of nearby hedges and shrubs will naturally seek out the best source of moisture. I suppose the best way of avoiding (or making it obvious when the roots are invading) it is to have U-bend traps.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

LOL - nice one!

You ain't seem my legs Adam - especially as the hair is now a rather unfetching grey colour.

Reply to
Unbeliever

Well obviously cannot see what this is, but I can recall many moons ago that a similar issue plagued a friend. In the end he found in the downpip a kiddies teddy bear with oodles of gunge on top of it. One has to wonder at exactly how this occured, as I don't think anyone young enough to still have a teddy would have been on the roof. The answer of course is one of those nice likkle spidery filter things over the downpipe hole. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , Brian Gaff writes

The bottom couple of feet of the downpipe are a solid mass of roots

Reply to
chris French

Phew, I was expecting a photo of a dead animal.

Reply to
Adam Funk

or a burglar:

jgh

Reply to
jgh

I was just thinking that too!

Or a collection of used wiring and connector debris dumped in the hopper by Openreach.

Reply to
newshound

ISTR that, when they were knocking down a lot of Glasgow in the late 60s and early 70s, they found a mummified body in a chimney, which they thought was a burglar who had suffered a similar fate some time in the

1930s.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Clearly the only grey matter you have....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

George Clooney has grey hair. I have grey hair. You have grey hair. Only one of us is knobbing Julia Roberts - and it's not you or me.

Reply to
ARW

yep that is a blockage

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Ha! I've heard of drainpipe trousers, but never a whole burglar down one.

Reply to
Adam Funk

I found one of those made mine more likely to clog than without it.

Reply to
Andy Burns