Nest (again)

So Nest has finally launched in the UK

we-made-it/) Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it does anything new? It just looks like a regular thermostat with optimum/smart start and a sma rtphone interface. Nothing new there, but stinking expensive at getting clo se to 200 quid.

Reply to
Jon Connell

Looks pretty good - a kind of evolved version of the Heatmiser wifi thermostat I have. The 'new' bits look to be in software - 'learning' and some sort of live costing arrangements. Whether any of that works . . .

I'm not sure how the wifi (app control) part works, though. They refer to 'setting up an account'. I had to subscribe to a fixed IP service to get mine to work. It's also an odd 'worst of all worlds' connection arrangement - it has to have wireless *and* a mains feed. And they're really pushing the £70 installation charge. At £180 for the unit, it's not that bad - about £50 more than the Heatmiser.

Whether what it brings is actually worthwhile is, of course, up to you. I use it all the time. When I'm cold, that is.

Reply to
RJH

But according to the newspapers it can save you 33% on your heating bills.

Frankly, if it does achieve this sort of saving you were being flipping lazy with your choice of settings in the first pace and you could make much of the saving by making sure that your timer is seat appropriately in the first place.

And I don't understand how it "connects" to the outside world for remote control. Does it rely upon connecting to your wireless BB, or something else? I can't see anything in any of the sale blurb that having wireless BB is a pre-requisite. It can't be assumed that everybody has this (I don't)

tim

Reply to
tim.....

AFAICS it uses WIFI

Reply to
Tim Watts

Ay but is it female proof ?

If it get too warm throw open the windows.

If it gets too cool turn the thermostat up to max.

Attempt to make fine adjustments and leave time for revised setting to stabilise ? You must e joking

Reply to
fred

From my (admittedly brief) look at it, I could see three problems: First, it doesn't control the hot water, which is fine if you have a combi boiler, but requires somethign separate if you have a stored DHW system. The second is the main feature, ie that it 'learns' and decides what you need, when you'll be home, etc. After years of experience of battling with the likes of microsoft office etc, I can't bring myself to imagine that anything useful can be had from letting someone else's software decide what I need. Finally, it appears to require some interaction with their servers via your wifi/BB. That seems to be a vulnerability as who can tell whether they will be there in five years time to provide this link. Assuming they are around, however, this provides the manufacturers with the opportunity to make your unit obselete whenever they decide to 'upgrade' the system.

Of course, aspects of this seem to apply to most of the new generation of thermostats and may come with the territory.

Reply to
GMM

Nest have some influential business partners. Look what happened to my Google page since I visited your link:

Graham.

If you'll send me a pair of 500 dpi eyeballs in the post, I might be be to read it ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Google bought Nest in January for an incredible 3.2 billion dollars.

Reply to
Jon Connell