Neighbour loses plot over his patio

A COUPLE?s home was left teetering on the edge of a 15ft hole after their neighbour excavated 200 tonnes of earth while building a patio.

quisquiliae

Pictures here!

that the neighbours have not just contacted their insurers and let them get on with it.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

The comment at the end suggests this is a long-running dispute, so I doubt that reason is likely to prevail.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

tons - i feel so inadequate :-(

Reply to
Macie

Steve Peake

And the neighbours noticed nothing until the morning ???? Wish I could sleep as well through noise.

Reply to
Ziggy

story. It looks like there has been a long running dispute here and this guy decided he would try to bring down his neighbours house by digging as big a hole as possible, while still being on his property.

Why else would he dig such a big hole.. and why else would he do it overnight?

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

'Mr Vickers defended the action, and said that the publicity surrounding the excavation had upset him.

"It was part of a scheme to bring the level down to road level, I thought it was done within the planning requirements. I asked the council previously if it was alright to do so, and they said it would be." '

Reply to
timfy

message

one person wrote :> >

Because he can and because he was probably aware he was a bit over sized and needed planning but wont admit it. Too many people these days are " me me me" people aand dont want to consult their neighbours.

I have a neighbour who is trying to do this on a much smaller scale! I have other problems and cant be bothered with him - but he will well p*ss me off when he starts, even though I cannot afford a neighbour dispute and so he will get away with it!

In my case my neighbour wants to build a garage ( originally said workshop - he runs own business) alongside an existing garage.

problem he wants to bring his rear wall right up to the boundary line ( and where that is could be disputable, this being rural cornwall). Its my boundary and it is far from straight. There is currently a Cornish dirt and root unsupported bank marking the boundary. He is road level four feet above me. he wants to build on this unsupported hedge and in so doing will remove my hedge ( hazel and hawthorn). He will also do a blinder.

He hasnt mentioned to me his intentions - yet he wants to take my hedge down to do it. The boundary is not straight so at worst building " tight " to it will put him two foot on to unsupported ground my side. Not to mention he wont be able to maintain it.

Are there planning permissions necessary? he says not. I suspect there are but he might be able to get away with it except I think he will come within

17 ft of his own house which makes it a planning issue.

I only know because I heard him engaging a builder! he doesnt want to get planning permission he made that clear to the builder. he also doesnt want to tell me. That became clear too.

Too little forethought. Too much ego centricism. Its becomeing a cultural problem.

Me me me society done large.

Reply to
mich

You need to read up on the provisions of the Party Wall Act ... Google for it.

Phil.

Reply to
Phil

I dont know the details but building on unsupported ground might possibly constitute a dangerous structure, which iirc may be a matter the police or council would step in on.

Reply to
bigcat

Just ask the council for a protection order on the hedge and get them to post a copy to both properties.

Reply to
Mike

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember quisquiliae saying something like:

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

dealt with? I dare say instead of filling in the mising earth, the cost will be compounded and compounded until he loses his house.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

According to the story the council were still "deciding what action to take". AFAICS they should have issued a stop notice under the Party Wall act as soon as they found out what had happened.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

|>> their neighbour excavated 200 tonnes of earth while building a patio. |>>

AFAICS, this is another press exaggeration. I would love to know how a man with a digger, managed to move 200 tons of earth overnight, whilst his neighbours were sleeping in the adjacent property. Wonder what he did with that much earth in the early hours of the morning, especially when you consider that the volume would have multiplied by approx 2.5 times as he was digging it out!

Anyone understand how this story could be accurate?

Reply to
Howie

Obviously not a ' Union man' .. ;-)

Vaulting horses .. string round his trouser legs?

Only if he was working from the road and back towards the other house over a period of time then only moved the last 'section' in the night?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

|On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 17:53:53 +0000, Howie | wrote: | | |>AFAICS, this is another press exaggeration. I would love to know |>how a man with a digger, managed to move 200 tons of earth |>overnight, | |Obviously not a ' Union man' .. ;-)

ROFL

|>Anyone understand how this story could be accurate? | |Only if he was working from the road and back towards the other house |over a period of time then only moved the last 'section' in the night? | Ahhh, but IIRC, the lovely article said that it was _all_ done overnight.

|All the best .. | |T i m

And to you...

H.

Reply to
Howie

Dug a hole and buried it. Obvious, init?

Reply to
Aidan

Don't know. But if he wants to come and do the same to our cow-s**te pile he's most welcome. It's about 100 tons or so.

Reply to
Mike