Need to top up central heating water 1x month...why?

I have a Valliant Ecofit Pure boiler in a small flat and only have 3 radiators on usually. Recently I've had to top the water up about once a month when I get F22 notice and the boiler shuts down. It's a simple operation described here:

Before I call out a plumber, what should I do about this? It's no bother to top up the water but I wonder if there's a leak and if so where? And is it progressive - likely to get worse?

Any advice on how to proceed here?

Reply to
Eusebius

Eusebius formulated on Wednesday :

Well, it certainly will not get better until found and fixed :-)

...and each time you top it up, it dilutes the inhibitor so sludge and rusting radiators more likely.

There will be a pipe which ends outside, with its end open pointing at the wall, probably at the back of the boiler. Fit a sandwich bag over the end, with an elastic bag over it to keep it in place, leave it in place and report back if it collects any water over several days?

Check all radiators, valves and pipework for rusty marks and staining from leaks. Check ceilings on floor below, for signs of leakage from pipes under floor.

Check

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Over the years i've had the odd almost imperceptible weep at a compression joint at the rad valve.

More recently top ups were becoming more frequent until wetness was noted on a ceiling and it transpired that a copper pipe had developed a tiny hole.

It still needs topping up occasionally, is there anyone out there who gets away with never having to bother?

Reply to
R D S

the first thing to check is the pressure vessel. if that is ok you may have a leak

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have the answer I don't use water central heating at all. grin, but that was not what you meant. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The Natural Philosopher has brought this to us :

Sandwich bag on the end of the PRV pipe, as above, will pick that problem up.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Yes, me. Is having a non-pressurised boiler seen as cheating?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yup.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think that would be the condensate drain which isn't relevant to the OP's problem.

Reply to
Max Demian

Not if it?s ?pointing at the wall?.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

A lot of plumbers install safety valve blow off turned back to face the wall, putting plastic bag over t hat will tell you if the valve is letting out water .... would eliminate one possible cause.

Reply to
rick