Need some thinish, tough, slidy, plasticy stuff - 600mm-ish square

You are wishing yourself ill? Poor you!

Reply to
GB

ok, so that's not a show-stopper.

That's true, it only needs two strips, on the left and right, for the skids to slide over, say 3" wide. That would save money, but possibly a bit harder to get to stay in place than a full-size piece. It seems that stuff is near impossible to glue down, but I guess I could nail/screw it down through the vinyl to the floorboards (making sure they are clear of the skid path).

How did you know my plywood is a bit too big and sticking out the front by an inch!!! :)

Not entirely sure what you mean here, but yes, I could easily raise up the front to slide some non-slip material under the front feet.

Is Nylon 6 an alternative, seems slightly cheaper?

Reply to
Phil Addison

Noted, thanks.

Reply to
Phil Addison

Good thought. Rather than a large square, I'm considering just 2 strips, 1 each side. Ally could well meet the bill; not too slippery, but should be able to slide over it, cheap, reasonably strong, waterproof.

Reply to
Phil Addison

Another vote for ally, thanks. Not sure about using angled though, due to possible fouling on the vertical bit (though it does give strength). You say "weight taker", but I assume you ran them front to back as 'sliders', rather than left to right?

Reply to
Phil Addison

Think (hope!) he meant Parquet, though no idea why!

Reply to
Phil Addison

Ha! I'm actually sitting on a chair with one of those under it! You have a good point, I will check if it's economic by the time its cut up.

Reply to
Phil Addison

Yes, back to front. They take the weight of the machine on its feet well, and I guess even if the adjustable feet were screwed in as far as they would go the vertical bit of the angle would not touch the bottom of the washing machine. I've pulled the machine out only a few times since I used the angle, but I've not had a problem with it. If the WM comes off it when the machine is almost out, it is very easy to put back.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Interesting, thanks. I could do with something like that to move my TV+Unit to get at the cabling behind. Trouble is their small ones are too small and the big ones too big. Might help there sales if they actually quoted the size of the pads! Had to do some off-screen scaling to see if they would suit.

Reply to
Phil Addison

Thanks Martin. I think I may have over-emphasised the need for slipperyness - I can actually slide the m/c reasonably easily over the existing plywood version, so something with just a bit less friction should be fine. I suspect that equates to anything with a surface somewhat smoother than plywood - e.g. practically anything metal or plastic.

Reply to
Phil Addison

I'm warming to the idea of ally strips, and if I have vertical clearance the angled version adds strength and gives some side guidance - not that its needed as there are solid panels each side of the cavity.

Reply to
Phil Addison

PE is the 2nd slipperiest sheet material, PTFE would be even worse. It's also very bad news in a fire.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

an offcut of melamine faced chipboard furniture panel would fit that description. I think it'd be too slippery but you can generally get it for nowt. No use if your machine leaks though.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You can always cut the long ones down a bit.

We have four small ones we keep for one visitor. She is in a heavy wheelchair and it's a faff getting it round a very tight corner into the living room (the entrance is via an opening under the stairs, we also have a portable ramp for a step there). The short sliderz, one under each wheel, mean we can rotate the chair in tha gap.

I also used those for moving a small-ish safe.

Reply to
Bob Eager

or just wax the plywood.

Reply to
John Rumm

You could get a "Winbag" and use that to lift the front of the machine up when you need to move it forwards and slide some old carpet or even cardboard under to protect the floor as it comes out.

I've found them very useful for all sorts of things, you can get pairs of them from Lidl or Aldi sometimes and they're actually better and cheaper than the originals as they have a screw valve to release the air rather than a button and that gives more control - a bit like letting down the cuff on a blood pressure machine (sphygmomanometer)!

Murmansk

Yup, I have a similar set, they can be very handy at times:

John Rumm

What's PE?

Reply to
Phil Addison

I have a pair too. I rediscover them occasionally, but can never find them when I actually want them.

Reply to
newshound

polythene. It comes mainly as LDPE & HDPE, though other variants are seen on occasion.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr