Need quick answer about wire colours to thermostat

I need to put in a new cable to thermostat that is affixed adjacent to immersion heater.

Have boiler which either is set to heating, or water.

Is there a need to put in same cable, I mean with same colours.

Present colurs are black, brown, green/yellow.

Off tho B&Q in about 40 minutes time.

Thanks

Reply to
Richard

I say immersion heater, I just mean cylinder tank.

Reply to
Richard

That is an odd colour scheme. Is there a core (grey) that has been cut right back?

You need 0.75 or 1.0mm heat resistant flex. The number of cores needed depends on how many terminals you are using on the cylinder stat and if the stat needs an earth.

4 core heat resisistant flex will cover all you needs.

Cheers

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That is an odd colour scheme. Is there a core (grey) that has been cut right back?

You need 0.75 or 1.0mm heat resistant flex. The number of cores needed depends on how many terminals you are using on the cylinder stat and if the stat needs an earth.

4 core heat resisistant flex will cover all you needs.

Cheers

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Well, just about all the cable at B&Q will be that colour. If the thermostat is on the hot water cylinder you probably ought to get heat resistant cable though.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Okay, I'll certainly get heat resising.

I'm looking at the diagram I made.

It's one of those systems with two motorised valves. One for Water, other Heater.

WATER CIRCUIT

Is blue from neutral to motor valve, brown from motor valve to cylinder thermostat, black out from thermostat to DANFOSS 3E Timer, which derives a live feed from the boiler.

HEATER CIRCUIT

I had to change the colours because originally three core red, blue, yellow was being used.

I rewired that so it's now:

Is blue from neutral, brown from motorised valve to room thermostat, white out from thermostat to DANFOSS 3E Timer, which derives a live feed from the boiler.

In other words Water and Heating have same colours, except it's a black wire live feed from DANFOSS Timer to Water thermostat, whereas it's a white live feed from DANFOSS Timer to Heater thermostat.

Just wondering whether it's alright to have black wire to feed water thermostat. I mean, that's live. But that is the original colour.

Reply to
Richard

Actually, white could be grey I supppose.

Room stat is fed live with a grey.

Cylinder state is at present fed live with a black.

I could get three core grey, brown, black. But that would mean both stat's have same coloured live feed.

Is it permissible to put inicating sleeves on wires to identify?

Reply to
Richard

Just don't use blue for anything but neutral and you'll be OK.

See here:

brown, grey, white, orange wires all used for live.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Okay.

Well, in the end I got blue and brown. What I will do is eventually source a better cable, probably black and brown as original and replace with that. I was just in a hurry yesterday.

Reply to
Richard