mystery pipe in outside loo

In a house I am about to renovate, there is a strange plastic pipe in the outside toilet. My house has flat-roofed kitchen extension including the loo, and next door has an ajoined pitched roof extension. There is a black plastic drainpipe running the width of my outside loo, terminating in a grille on the outside wall next to the door. The other end of the pipe seems to go into the wall, as if it is going through to next door, but I cannot see if it goes in or not without digging out some brick etc. Eventually I will be able in investigate properly, but, has anyone seen anything like this, or know what it could be ?

ASCII art follows, please view in fixed font.

___________________ | _____ | ventilation | | | | grille -> :===========|

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Must be ducting of some form; my guess is that next door's extension was built before yours, and the grille you see was formerly attached to what was formerly the neighbour's outside wall. Then when your extension was built it was necessary to duct the grille to the outside again; if so, it all sounds a bit Heath Robinson. As to what's purpose is - who knows; an extractor fan next door? Might even be redundant, if you're lucky.

Can't you just go round and ask them what they have on their side of the party wall?

David

Reply to
Lobster

I will be, since I will be knocking down my extension and building a larger one with a pitched roof level with theirs, against their wall (not sure if party, or just on their side). My extension looks much older than theirs, so it may be redundant. I could try shouting "hello" down the pipe and see if a little voice shouts back ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

You could introduce a rat into the pope and see if there are any screams

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I should think the pontif would scream if the OP did that!

Reply to
Richard Conway

You mean a sort of Rat-Singer?

Reply to