motor insurance ploy

Worth logging in with a different email address. I've had two different quotes from Direct Line when using different addresses. The higher quote was to an address I had used before. Changing my email address got me a lower quote.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Nah, your (pay) provider has had its ups and downs but those are mainstream text groups and should be on their servers, try a full newsgroup refresh and they should be there.

Reply to
fred

,

I never use an E-Mail address as my user login name if I can avoid it.

Reply to
cl

In article

, Tim+ writes

I never use a valid email address when I'm making my first trawl for quotes, nothing for them to spam if I don't proceed and they always put the price on screen anyway. I can change it later if I take up the quote.

For the o/p, my policy with all suppliers (insurance or otherwise) is best quote first time every time, I don't give a anyone the opportunity to revise their quote so in your case I'd be changing provider. Why give your business to someone who would happily have stiffed you if you hadn't done you research?

I do have one policy with Direct Line and they haven't tried to stiff me on renewals yet, we'll see what this year brings.

Reply to
fred

A good reason for using a broker, if you can find a good one. Mine seems to change the supplier every couple of years. When I've had trial quotes by phone or net they have never been significantly better than the broker.

Still worth doing an ASKMID check shortly after any change, we've had two cases in the family where brokers or insurers have logged the registration number incorrectly, only discovered after being pulled over by ANPR.

Reply to
newshound

Because they are all run by marketing people. They get a bigger bonus for bringing in new business so that's what they do. Somehow it woukdn't do as much for their career to retain loyal customers and spend less on marketing.

Reply to
djc

Sadly this is *exactly* right. Marketing makes work for itself and is prepared to let existing customers go hang. Internally they have two sort of sales people trappers (new business) and skinners (existing). The latter get their bonuses for stiffing existing customers.

I presume they have done their sums correctly and the methodology actually works since they are all run be MBAs and accountants now.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Who are therefore bright enough to work out what brings the greatest reward to them personally rather than the company in the long run. So many companies today seem to be, or are set up, as first and foremost a financial vehicle. The company is created to look good just long enough to be sold on to the next bigger fool.

A manically competitive insurance market is a sure sign of a boom going bust: the premium income is instant cash flow, the claims paid later.

In the long run, it has to self-correct. Once everyone is swapping insurer every year, retaining good customers will start to look attractive, but it will be much harder to build a reputation that way than to have lost it.

Reply to
djc

I used Swinton for year. They sent me a renewal quote for around 40% more. I found alternative insurance but still had to phone Swinton to make sure that wouldn't automatically take a payment for the next year.

They asked at what price I had obtained my new insurance, and on being told they informed me that they could have matched it. They didn't really have an answer to why they hadn't quoted that price in the first place.

The broker is probably making 30% in commission.

Reply to
alan

Getting a list of 1000 email addresses to attempt a brute force checking common stupid passwords, is much easier than getting a list of 1000 usernames perhaps relevent to the site and then doing the same.

If you truely have to use an email address, make sure that the password ye chose is really some decent randomness.

Reply to
Adrian C

As it's more expensive to attract new customers then it's necessary to rip-off existing customers to make this approach work.

Reply to
Mark

You're better off without Swinton. Terrible customer service.

I use "A Plan" which has many branches, although mostly in the Midlands/South.

Reply to
Mark