More smoking advice pls

Further to the enquiry about redoing a smoker's room, we've recently inherited some good furniture, in particular a dining room table and upholstered chairs. Unfortunately they came from a smoker's home and even after a month with us still smell strongly. Any ideas about getting them to kick the habit?

thx

Marc

Reply to
marcb

I had this problem, we used ambersil anti static foaming cleaner, the tar just rolled off and it stopped being smelly.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Have you tried those patch things? If you use enough, that should work.

Reply to
VisionSet

"mrcheerful ." wrote in news:rwjLe.88039$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Does it work on fabric?

M.

Reply to
marcb

"VisionSet" wrote in news:8FjLe.5770$CM.4667@newsfe7- win.ntli.net:

Well, we've already given the chairs a stern talking to but I'd prefer to try aversion therapy first.

M.

Reply to
marcb

If you've inherited them they must be over the legal age, there's little you can do about it except wait. Time will teach them.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It doesn't say suitable for fabric, my choice for fabric would be to use the vax machine. (since you don't want to dissolve the smell further into the item, the vax sucks it straight off)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I would have thought one of the foaming type carpet and upholstery cleaners would be a good bet. You use a small amount of cleaner on a sponge or brush to work up a good lather, and then let it dry. It dries to a crystalline form which you then vacuum off.

Reply to
John Rumm

My partner will hyptonise then to stop, for 60 quid.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

In message , Rick writes

I want to give up smoking - how successful is hypnotism?

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

In my experience not at all but others have different experiences.

But the offer was for the partner to hyptonise and I've no experience of that.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

My girlfriend's dad had hypnosis to help him to stop smoking - a few days later he didn't turn up at work and nobody knew where he was until he phoned home having travelled half the length of the country for no apparent reason. Now I'm not saying that happened because he was hypnotised, but ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

Richard Faulkner wrote in news:R6X $ snipped-for-privacy@estate.demon.co.uk:

Hyponotism doesn't give up smoking. You do!

Having just done so (over two months now), the greatest help for me was a partner who had also just done so. She was about a week ahead of me.

In the months before giving up, we had progressively pushed smoking from something we did pretty much anywhere, to "downstairs only", to "kitchen only", eventually to "outside if you really have to". This also had the effect of breaking links between things like using computers, watching tele, eating, drinking tea/coffee, etc. and smoking.

And think why you want to give up. If the want is strong enough, the doing is easy (well, easier).

Reply to
Rod

Well done, both of you. I think it's probably the hardest thing to do. I hope you're feeling better - your wallet certainly will - and that you keep off it.

I think that's probably true for some people. In fact I think that different methods work for different people. I tried very many methods and none of them worked. I didn't even enjoy smoking, I wanted to give up but I was a junkie :-( I'm now a reformed smoker of 21 years and although I don't want another and hate the smell I wouldn't dare have even a puff because I know I'd be hooked again.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The entire English football have given up smoking, but only because they keep losing their matches. :-)

The old ones are, er, the old ones.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

I've never heard that, I like it. Both of them.

I'd also like to think I'll remember it but I probably shan't :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around the eyes, look into my eyes.

[click] You're under!

You will give up Smoking

[click] You're back in the room!

MBQ