more on helicopter crash.

This is getting weirder and weirder. No signs of at least one engine or any gearbox failure.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

is the actual preliminary report.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The PM on the pilot may be more conclusive. The fact that the crash was so sudden that no mayday call was made, and that no attempt to miss the building was made, would, in the absence of obvious catastrophic mechanical failure, indicate something like a heart attack.

Reply to
Bob Henson

The AAIB report indicates that the rotors were stationery. That's a bit odd. Why would he have done that?

Reply to
GB

engine or

Ta, saves me wandering over to get the story from the horses mouth without the mejia filter in place.

Most odd, apart from fuel starvation. Crud in the fuel and/or tank blocked filter. Would fit with the witness report of loud misfiring, silence and nothing going round on impact.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The pilots funeral was a couple of days ago. One would assume that if anything like that had been found in the post mortum it would have been published. Doesn't really fit with misfiring, silence, stationary rotors, and near vertical decent.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Would a massive electrical failure do it? No engine, no avionics/radio but why did the rotor actually stop? Do they not 'freewheel' with a loss of power?

Reply to
Jb

The rotors would take a bit of stopping; the helicopter took about 7 or 8 seconds to fall and even if the engines had failed they'd still be turning after that interval, especially if the attitude was 'flat' the airflow would also assist them turning even if there was no power.

The report says that the power train from No 2 engine was OK, but does note that this couldn't be tested on No 1 due to impact damage.

ATM I'm thinking that some sort of possibly-temporary seizure of the drive train stopped the rotors, and the disrupted gas flow through the engines caused the backfiring sound reported by at least one witness.

Reply to
Terry Fields

I didn't know they'd had the PM. If must be a major mechanical failure then.

Reply to
Bob Henson

yebbut blades don't stop going round cos the pilots snuffed it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Perhaps he ran out of balsa wood an a sheet of A4 was all he had left?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ok...wouldn't that actually simply cause autorotation, and surely gas turbines don't 'backfire'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The AAIB report does not actually say no engine failure, it only says no major mechanical damage to the engines. There are other failure modes, such as a flame out, which cannot yet be ruled out. The report of sounds like a car backfire would be consistent with compressor stall, although the type of engine management system fitted is supposed to stop them from happening.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I don't for sure, no mention has been made but I'd be *very* surprised if there hasn't been one.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If the compressor stalls, they can* and the noise will be similar. However, the helicopter had an advanced engine management system that should have prevented compressor stall.

  • Airflow through the compressor is disrupted, compression stops or is seriously reduced and air that has already been compressed reverses direction and comes out of the intake. The engine will probably flame out through lack of air and stop.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar