More DIY (part 2)

I finished the second version:

John Rumm

I think it's nicer than the one some bloke is making on More4 right now.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Beautiful, John.

Reply to
RayL12

Very nice they put my patio table to shame :-(

Reply to
ss

I might have to do a table to go with them next ;-)

Got any photo's of the finished table yet?

Reply to
John Rumm

+1. If only I had the time.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

As mentioned in previous posts I have to do the work outdoors so weather plays a part. The pedestal / feet / and top frame are all glued/screwed so now fitting the slats today and then coat it all in preservative. Another day or two and should be finished. Will post a pic when done.

Reply to
ss

+2 I particularly like the cut outs for the ears and antennae.

One thought... I guess 4" is amply wide enough to safely park a coffee cup or beer mug but I like the flared section ending the arms of our shop bought 2 seater. You might want to consider dipping the feet in some grass safe timber preservative.

We have acquired 6 outdoor seats and rockers by purchase and inheritance so I am not tempted to make more:-) They all spend the winter under cover.

The rockers are a particularly ingenious design should anyone be interested in a photo. I believe the maker has ceased production now.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

;-) Great minds think alike it seems - SWMBO was suggesting a add on table that could hang on an arm for a bit of extra drink or food space etc. I might see what I can come up with.

I quite like the wide arms you get with the Adirondack design. I did this one a while back:

I might do another of those so I have a pair.

Probably not a bad idea. I have oiled the first one, and will do similar for the new one. Also I am told that western red cedar is supposed to be "durable" anyway, although how well that works for ground contact surfaces is another matter.

Yes please, always keen for suitable ideas to pinch^h^h^h^h^h^h build on ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

In message , John Rumm writes

Photos here..

Tim Lamb

Yup, see what you mean - kind of a "suspension" rocker. (i guess they swing rather than rock as such?)

Reply to
John Rumm

That is amazing.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

There's also a somewhat similar mechanism where the 2 steel suspension rods are lower down and strongly angled, and the chair does rock, but the feet stay still. Much safer for feet & tails.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes. Bit of a struggle to get seated but very comfortable once there. The lower chain eyelets are through bolted as are the hooks at the top. Unhooking the chains allows the stand to be easily separated from the chair for moving/storage.

Reply to
Tim Lamb