Mono Stereo

Well funadmentally I was listening to classic FM on yer telly and banged over to a Beeb talk station. It was essentially band limited to what sounded like 4Khz. Sounded like AM radio....my assumption is that they dont actually carry high definition signals internally for some talk and local radio stations.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That was the beauty of FM seteroe, it didnt break FM mono...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Good grief. Does anybody still lsiten to that shit at all?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

BBC FM reception - except with a decent outside aerial - used to be truly dreadful over much of South London. Better since they added a fill in transmitter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well they do. bit then it depends on where its coded to whatever format they need...

Reply to
tony sayer

Ever read about the AAC + or DAB 2 codec?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Turnip probably didn't realise it was a phone in. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes.

Can I upgrade the built my car audio system that only has DAB to DAB+? No.

Reply to
mm0fmf

You find the audio quality of DAB unacceptable in your car?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes true but i don't think that AAC was around at the time..

Around the early 90's when DAB was being formulated..

Reply to
tony sayer

80s

Then AIUI no one in the UK had the guts to say "oops!"

Reply to
Robin

80's and part 90's and original work prolly before that but in all fairness the basic idea behind DAB is OFDM modulation which offered several advantages over FM especially for mobile reception. It was not upgradable to another better codec but oddly enough the modulator and multiplexer we have on our local trial DAB service MUX can handle standard DAB and DAB+ the DAB Plus we have had several reports on is performing better reception wise than standard DAB .. FWIW...

Then the idea of bit reduction came about no one saw that forthcoming it seems till it got here..

Reply to
tony sayer