Monitor screen burn

I thought this was a thing of the past!

But I noticed some oddness across the top of the screen lately, it's been getting worse and becoming obvious that browser tabs are burning in!

Reply to
R D S

Yet another good reason for not running everything full-screen all the time!

We get a clever, easy-to use, multi-window, GUI system and then everyone runs everything full-screen so that the advantages and uses of multiple windows, tiling, etc. are lost!

Although I do tend to run my browser across most of the screen I still find it very handy to have some screen background available for (say) a terminal window or file managenment.

Reply to
Chris Green

Do you have the make/model/type of screen? I have not seen any hint on burn on a convention LCD screen, including LED backlights aka LED screens.

Reply to
Fredxx

LCD screens can have burn in but it can be be recovered

alan_m

Interesting, most references call it persistence rather than burn in and it only seems to affect some displays.

Thanks for the link.

Reply to
Fredxx

What technology is the screen? I'd imagine anything which is always being used will change over time, I guess this was why screensavers were invented. If they were not needed they would not bother. This is what worries me about these invisible screens that show the pattern of the wall or a constant picture when not in use. Surely being static they must burn in the devices used for the display. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Screensavers are so last century. The first PC I bought was in 1998 and didn't need a screensaver as the (CRT of course) monitor could be switched to standby by the PC, saving power as well as screen.

Reply to
Max Demian

I've never seen the point, all my systems are configured to simply turn the display off after the idle timeout.

Reply to
Chris Green

That's the point. Monitors used not to be able to do that. And people liked to wait for the teapot in the pipes screensaver or use the one that looks for aliens:

Max Demian

Still no gain over simply setting the whole screen to black.

Reply to
Chris Green

I don't even wait for that. I have F12 mapped to the command to turn it off.

Reply to
Bob Eager