Missing sub construction material

Without currents, I hope these calculations are correct...

Assume 1 mm^2 cross-sectional area stainless steel wire. 4000m (4km) of wire has a volume of 4000 x 1000 x 1 mm^3, or 4000cc^3.

The density of SS is 8gm/cc^3, so the wire weighs 4000 x 8g, or 32kg. The tensile strength of SS is about 500Mp, which is approximately 50kg/mm^2.

So that 1mm^2 SS wire would just about support 5km of its own weight. In seawater, 4km of wire would weigh less than 32kg, so that reduction would work in its favour.

Once you start factoring in currents, things start working against you. It might require, for example, 2mm^2 wire to allow for currents and any wind on the surface, but it could still be done.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

There is not much pint having all this shit if the problem is that the eggshell has been stamped on and the yolk inside has all been washed away.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

From actual charts for 1mm diameter 7x7 laid wire, weight 0.004kg/m.

4000m = 16kg. Minimum breaking strain 60kg.

Colin Bignell

It takes a special kind of person, to step off perfectly good dry land, and ride in stuff like this.

Our public broadcaster, in a show of support for the military, put a reporter in one of our subs, for a short cruise. It made for an interesting report -- showed the crew remaining calm under stress. But I don't think it did the reporters nerves any good :-) It's not like you can open the hatch and run away.

Now this is how you build a sub :-)

Paul

Reply to
Paul