minimum level of plans for house extension

What is the minimum type of plans for a smallish rear house extension (say 5m x 4m etc), to satisfy building and planning control ? What level of detail is needed on tieing in to the existing building / windows / roof etc ? Can a lot be done by "rule of thumb", since these type of small builds are very common ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Why not ask them. Councils vary.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

There are 2 ways of dealing with plans for building regs purposes. One way is to draw detailed plans which specify exactly how it's going to be done, and get them approved before you start. The other way is to use a Building Notice - in which case you can agree the detail with the BCO as you go along. The downside of the second appropach is that costs can escalate if the BCO insists on something you hadn't planned for.

Reply to
Set Square

Don't forget to either submit plans for planning purposes or confirm that what ever you are doing does not require planning permission to cover yourself.

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

In order to comply with a building control application had to provide:

  1. A plan of the existing dwelling.For me this was the ground floor as it is a single storey extension.
  2. A proposed plan. What you want to do.
  3. A location plan. where the building is
  4. A plan for the drainage. you guessed it, a plan of the drains.
  5. And probably most importantly. A cheque ! Made payable to your local authority building control department.

Check out your local authority online building control website. They are pushing for electronic applications, so there is a lot of information avaliable online.

For Planning, that is a seperate department which you should try to avoid (if you are within certain constraints you can). The only thing you might want from them is a certifate of lawfullness for your extension.

Reply to
nthng2snet

Care to explain that a bit more? AFAIK that only comes into play once a place has been built without permission and you want to legitimise it once the local authority can no longer take enforcement action. Not getting PP is just storing up trouble these days as a declaration will have to be made when you come to sell stating that all permissions have been granted and copies of them will have to be produced.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

I think the previous poster was referring to a permitted development where - under certain circumstances - you can add bits to your house without needing planning permission. But it's still worth getting a formal statement from the Planners that permission is not required, for the reasons you state.

Reply to
Set Square

This always bugs me .Some people know the answers but don't supply them untill stoked o provoked or untill they want to .. in order to appear superior. If they know the answer why don't they say so in the first place, instead of trying to be the wise ass and interupting a question not aimed at them.. In short if you know the answer . fcking answer it and don't try to grab someone elses tail!

Reply to
nthng2snet

I've sent off for info packs from from planning and building. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

You're obviously having a bad day! Let's hope tomorrow is better.

Reply to
Set Square

Did the drawings have to be accurately to scale, or will side elevations and floor plan with measurements be OK ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

On 20 Sep 2005 09:23:07 -0700, a particular chimpanzee named sm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Not certain about Planning, but for Building Control, if you're in England or Wales (or NI too, but I'm not sure), you can submit a Building Notice (unless you're within 3m of a public sewer). For this all you need is a location plan to 1:1250 or 1:2500 scale, usually available over the counter at the Planning office or from a library.

With this, there is no prior check on your proposals, so you need to be sure of what's required (i.e., the make-up of the floor slab, roof structure, levels of insulation, etc.). The council can ask for further details such as calculations for beams, etc. No disrespect, but given the questions you're asking here, I would suggest that you get a surveyor (or Architect) to draw up some plans. It may save you money in the long run. Failing that, keep in very close contact with your BCO.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

that you get a surveyor (or Architect) to draw up some plans. I probably will, not for the pictures, but for the fact that he knows what not to miss out, which could save a lot of time /money. The elevation and floor plans for planning permission is a different matter, quite simple, I will do those. Hardest part will be measuring the height of the house, when all I want is a single storey extension. I actually have an acquaintance who's a BCO, so that's good (or not good depending on when you invite him round !) Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

On 21 Sep 2005 08:55:56 -0700, a particular chimpanzee named sm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Measure the height of ten courses of bricks, divide by ten, then multiply by the number of bricks. Unless it's rendered...

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

What are you on about??

Reply to