Mice

Mice are rather partial to chocolate, and apparently not at all interested in cheese. I have a cage full of them, descendants of a few that I caught several years ago and never got around to relocating when the weather improved. They are cool little beasties, some are quite tame and they are easy to keep (if a little smelly). We later acquired a cat from a local rescue centre, and we haven't seen any trace in the house of "wild" mice since.

Reply to
Rob Morley

In message , Bill writes

Get a rat.

We had mice until the rats moved in... then the mice seemed to pack their bags and leave. Lisci

Reply to
Lisci

I'm keen on getting a sonar rodent repeller.

Does anyone know:

a) if hens are affected by them?

b) if there's a 12v version?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Donno but mice don't seem particulary deteered by them, Put it this way they still made nests inside the rolled up carpet within 6' of the chirping box set for "mice", admitedly also set to "quiet" ("loud" isn't nice for humans) but they can certainly hear it as they jump when you switch one on.

Ours live of DC derived from a wall wart, hang on I'll see if I can find it... 9v (could easyly be derived from a leisure battery though). They are Weitech 3500 looks similar to:

bought from CostCo a few years back, maybe they are designed for US mice not UK ones?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A family member in the US bought one of those - it was supposed to get rid of grey squirrels. It didn't.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

Never worked for me even with two in a room aimed at the mouse hole. They were a special offer in Maplin, so I didn't expect much. This house has the Circle Line running beside it and Thameslink below. I'm sure if the local rodents can live happily amoung the live rails etc they are immune to these things

Reply to
quisquiliae

Oh ... :-(

LOL!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hmm. Perhaps we'll stick to the Little Nippers. They certainly work - and after getting a few seem to repel too. The little buggers are more intelligent than we give them credit for.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Try a rentokill brand mouse trap, they WORK !!! and the most effective bat is choclate coated ginger biskits

Reply to
James Salisbury

We live trap and deport up onto the fells literally miles from any other habitation but with the cover of a pine plantation. The little darlings can take their chnaces with the predators, stoats, weasels, owls, etc etc

Not sure that mice are that bright, certainly not as bright as rats.

Bait, our mice like Nuttella or peanut butter, we prefer to use Nuttella as it doesn't go rancid like peanut butter. There is a permenantl;y baited and set trap in the kitchen as we never know when the little blighters are going to come visiting.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'll have to try that. I presently use peanut butter.

*A* trap? Blimey, I have 8 in the (integral) garage (*), 3 in the kitchen, 2 in the utility room and 2 in the loft.

(* Slightly misleading - I have one by each wheel of my "recreational" car, since in previous years the mice shifted about 5 lbs of bird feed into the engine compartment, during the winter when it is unused.)

Other than under the garage doors, I have no idea how the little blighters get in.

Reply to
Huge

In message , James Salisbury writes

Now we are back to my chocolate ginger aren't we! Told you they liked them. Latest score is Mice 1 chocolate ginger for 4 casualties. Almost a fair swap.

Reply to
Bill

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Better questions would have been;

a) Do they Work?

Answer;

No. Had one for three months, still found little 'presents' in the mornings, a month after fitting the sonic rip off my favourite experience was sitting quietly on Christmas eve 2003 and looking down to find a little friend quietly looking up at me, we shared a moment and then I vowed to poison the little bugger in the New Year. Four weeks of poison baits and voila, no more mice, or at least, no more evidence of them.

b) Are they safe?

Only if they are low enough in output that they don't constitute a noise hazard, but it's ultrasonic so how the hell would you know? But if it was safe in that respect, would it work?

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Did you get a new box of chocolate gingers though?

That's the most important issue......

Reply to
Andy Hall

Try the humane method. Easily made............a piece of 25x50x100mm pse with a razor blade strategically placed. Unsuspecting mouse comes along, looks over the razorblade.........stares in astonishment & exclaims " Wot.......no cheese whilst shaking its head!!!"

Reply to
Don Spumey

Quite. Only by others' experiences. I think I'm now less keen ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

More details, please.

What's pse (I know I'm going to regret asking) and where is 'strategically' ?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

OK, we'll be nice ... planed square edge, a lump of 2 by 1 in old money

and where is 'strategically'

at mouse's throat level?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Andy Hall wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

And what make? Thornton's? Waitrose? Charbonnel et Walker?

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Who's going to draw her a picture ?