Dam mice

About a week ago i heard the most annoying scratching sound in my bedroom, Straight away i new it had 2 be a damn mouse! Most irritating sound u will ever hear especially when u have 2 be up at 5am 2 start a morning shift. Decided to set a few traps in case there was any more. (caught a few) . Just came back home 2 find a trap that had been triggered but had moved about 14 inches or more, with no mouse..... Any ideas? Hopefully no1 is speculating what i'm thinking. Decided to get the pest patrol out tomorrow anyway.....

Reply to
Matthew Marlow

Mice are surprisingly agile!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

Been a few times these last few days i've had my nees up to my ears after seeing 1.

Reply to
Matty M

Before I got the two very good mouse hunters I had a very elderly cat who lost his fangs and could not hunt.

I ended up getting mice in the house and had the same problem with the traps not getting them.

Instead of using those standard wooden traps a got a few of those plastic "jaw" type traps and got every last mouse.

I had to go around the house very carefully to find out where they got in...then thoroughly seal the holes.

Even if there is a small hole, they can gnaw it larger, so be sure to check very well and seal anything that looks like a possibility.

I doubt if you have rats...mice can make a LOT of noise.

Reply to
philo

The problem is I know where they got in. There's a hole in the bottom corner, maybe both bottom corners, of the screen door for one of my sliding glass doors. I can rescreen the door, but it seems clear they could chomp their way in again**.

So the alternatives are not to open the glass part of the door even in the spring and summer. Or to open it and use the screen door with the hole, no protection against mice and less protection against insects.

**Wilil they eat through aluminum? I like vinyl better and I already have the vinyl.
Reply to
micky

With any hole...even if too small for them to fit through...they get get their mouth in and start expanding it.

If there is no hole at all they probably will not be able to get in at all. My basement windows are right at ground level and they have never come through the vinyl screens.

Reply to
philo

om, Straight away i new it had 2 be a damn mouse!

t 5am 2 start a morning shift.

about 14 inches or more, with no mouse.....

hey thanks for the advice what i have done today it put some poison down, L iterally go around all my flat and anywhere that they could take refuge i h ave removed or rearranged. I have caught 2 more mice 2night though in my be droom of all places!! There was a loose bit of skirting which i have fixed maybe there were comin g up through there? Also there is an air vent underneath my immersion heate r perhaps that's worth blocking. I am 3rd floor surely they can't climb tha t high?

Reply to
Matty M

If your house is vinyl siding, they probably cannot climb up that, but I doubt they'd have trouble with brick or wood... but I'd mostly concentrate at or about ground level.

Reply to
philo

Do a Google search for "Rat-Zapper" buy one and a set of four AA batteries and electrocute the little (and big) bastards. Never had a problem in the detached garage until a couple of years ago. Set one out there along the wall and in 24 hours time I'd killed off a dozen or so. Now I get one about once every month or so and change out the batteries once a year. Has a little lite on top that glows when a funeral needs to be held.

I just dump them in the garbage - never have to touch them, no muss, no fuss. Then I set it back down with one or two bits of dry dog food for bait.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Victor makes a product called a Tin Cat. It is a box that has one way doors that traps mice live. You then either throw it in a 5 gal bucket of water, or drive them to the next county if you are an animal activist with utter disrespect for the 7.2 gallons of fuel required to do so. The Tin Cats work, don't need resetting, catch more than one mouse at a time, and just plain are a good product. A little messy, but can be cleaned with the hose sprayer outside.

I found another advertised as "The best mouse trap in the world", which is kind of a 50's mousetrap about half the size of a shoebox. It has a wind up clock mechanism. It has a round sweeper with three fans on it. When mouse comes in, and hits the bait bar, the sweeper turns 1/3 turn, sweeping live mouse into holding compartment. I think it will hold 12 mice. A nice trap, as it is a live trap. It is easy to set, just wind, and put a smear of peanut butter in there. Available at yard sales for about fifty cents. I have four, and they are great for heavy traffic areas, like gardens.

Lastly, a five gallon bucket and a beer can work great. String the beer can on a piece of baling wire across the mouth of the bucket, going through the ends of the can. Kink the wire to keep the can centered on the wire. Fill the bucket about half full of water. Put a little peanut butter on the can. Mouse comes out on to the can, can flips, mouse goes in to water. No dangers for house pets, kids, anything. You just have to check them every two or three days, or they get really skanky smelling really fast. But a simple, cheap, and very efficient trap. Hides easily if company is coming, and can be left in dark corners of the garage, and other places frequented by mice. Of all, my choice for simplicity, and for working the best. Simple to empty, just toss water, mice, and all over fence into favorite neighbor's yard.

Lastly, spring trap. Nasty. You have to touch rodent entrails and bodily fluids. You have to remove carcass, sometimes while it is still alive, you have to reset, they go off just by themselves sitting there and catching an air current. Not so easy to set. Lots of touching messy things.

HTH

Steve Master mouse and gopher catcher.

Reply to
SteveB

My favorite trap for efficiency, cost, ease of dumping, and % of mice caught. Nothing better.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I dont believe in killing things unnecessarily..........

So I use a live trap and relocate the mice away from the house..

Reply to
bob haller

Like bailing the ocean from one side of the boat to the other.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Tell that to a rabid skunk or raccoon that has taken up residence in one of the inner reaches of your house. Define "unnecessarily".

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

We can't legally kill squirrels here so I had to live trap and relocate.

I released them about a mile away and across a river.

While I was driving home...I saw them swimming back!

Next time I took them 17 miles away and they never came back but within two days even more squirrels than I originally had replaced them!

The only real solution is to seal the holes.

Reply to
philo

Hi Steve and thanks for the advice and ideas i may try the can trap, i have watched a few of these online, seem to work pretty well. I have had some poison put down reason been where i'm living is a block of flats me being in the 3rd tier at the top. So if there are any other nests around that hopefully they take some posion back with them.

Reply to
Matty M

Reply to
Matty M

Yes, go back to school and learn to write in English (which is really American, not English). It will improve your job prospects considerably.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I had rushed the post i apologise (apologise spelt the english way.(spelt, spelt the english way). If you had of read the post correctly u would not of jumped to the assumption of me not working i quote " when u have 2 be up at 5am 2 start a morning shift" Which is my response to you incorrectly thinking i do not work........"it will improve your job prospects considerably" ........................

Reply to
Matty M

Okay.

Reply to