mending split rose stem

I was putting in new eye hooks and pulling the top of the rose around the corner of the house when the stem split lower down.

I've tied it up with string. But insects could get in the split and kill it.

Shall I coat it with tar or PVA or woodglue of foamy glue to stop bugs getting in or leave it alone and hope the sap will repair it from inside?

[george] .
Reply to
george - dicegeorge

I've read better poetry, but it's not too bad.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

In message , Sam Plusnet writes

My grandfather used to use insulating tape when grafting fruit trees. I don't know if it is still available. I suppose double spiral wrap of narrow cotton bandage might do. I think modern PVC insulating tape would cause damage over a period long enough for the plant to heal.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I think you can get some special tape, but whether it survives is really luck of the drawer in Roses. Funny things they are. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

actually the very stretchy pvc tape might just expand. The stuff i recall seems to self disintegrate ofer time. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I accidently snapped a growing tip off a dracena ~20 years ago. I pushed it back in place and slid a neoprene sleeve over to hold it whilst it repaired. It repaired and grow for about 5 years, before that shoot died. As the shoot grow, the stem didn't grow any wider at that point, and I suspect that strangled the fluid transfer inside.

The dracena itself is still doing fine with lots of other shoots. It's now 10 foot tall and has to stand on a corner of the stairs, which is the only place with enough headroom.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It needs to be a tight wrap until the wound heals. Try self amalgamating tape which will help pull the split together.

To apply it you have to stretch it to at least double its length as you wrap it.

alan

Ask in uk.rec.gardening

Reply to
F Murtz

Is the correct answer.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Someone there said bind it tight so I've just been down with a torch and applied two woodwork clamps!

[g]
Reply to
george - dicegeorge