MEM Gridwwitch 8000

Well, you've presumably already got holes for the hoses?

Right. So you do have a good reason for them. But be quick in fitting them or the kids will be big enough to reach over the worktop...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

If sockets are installed into cupboards it means the socket is not accessible (unless the cupboard has little in it) and also means ugly great holes in the side to allow a 13 amp plug to pass through. If you're going to the bother of cutting the socket off to feed the wire through a small hole you might as well fit a connection unit someplace....

Reply to
Jerry.

It's called forced thinking time for dossey house wives, all very un PC though... !

Reply to
Jerry.

What hoses ? My fridge & freezer doesn't need a water supply, nor are they gas appliances !.... :~)

Reply to
Jerry.

But they have hoses through them and the hole for a washing machine connector won't take a 13A plug...

In the "new kitchen" I suspect I'll fit one set of water isolator valves rather than individual ones per outlet.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ah but they won't be on the gridswitch supply or kitchen ring but a separate radial from another CU with a transfer switch on it's input... Well in the really big scheme of things they would be, in the shorter term it is more likely to be a radial pre the main CUs RCD with a transfer switch on it's input.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There'll be great ugly holes for the water and waste pipes too...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

You regularly switch off your fridge and freezer? How quaint.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 19:33:43 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman wrote: snip

snip

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for not saying "Plug out"

Such an ugly phrase, and it is becoming so popular amongst the great unwashed (IMHO)

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

Not if correctly installed, there will be a 22mm hole for a 20mm pipe and not a whacking great 50mm hole for a 10mm pipe IYSWIM !...

Best Regards to you Dave.

Reply to
Jerry.

Yes, when they need defrosting ! OK it's not regularly I'll grant you, but not having to empty a cupboard to unplug is worth a little more work when installing new wiring when refitting a kitchen IMO.

Reply to
Jerry.

I wouldn't as it refers to a specific operation involving jackfields and cross normalling.

At least three people here will know what I'm on about. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

If you combine the holes for the waste and fill, you should be able to get the mains plug through that first.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

What's wrong with simply turning down the thermostat on the fridge?

I've not got a built in freezer, so I don't know if they can be defrosted like this.

You could fit the socket at the top of the cupboard - away from possible water leaks?

It's just that separate switches and fuses - especially if brought together on a central panel of what - four minimum - would not be any closer for some than opening the cupboard alongside and unplugging the appliance.

And would serve no purpose for most.

Sorry to go on, but I remember doing just this on one installation years ago using something like an 18 gang panel for switches fuses and neons. And on going back some years later for a few modifications because of a couple of replacement appliances, it was obvious the switches were never, in fact used.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Is this like the American use of phrases like "deplaning momentarily" when you wish they'd hurry up and open the door.?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Only under the sink. B-)

And you don't need the hole for those to be any more tha clearance for the pipe. It's the gert big 13A plug on the end of an appliance cable that makes the hole so much bigger.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

OK and when you want to get the mains plug back out again with all the plumbing in place... B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

People separated by a common language? "plug out" and "cross normalling" must be an ITV terms for the BBC's "jack out" and either "double innered" or "normalled" depending on how things are actually wired.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hoses usually have fittings which are larger than the hose itself, so will never be a perfect fit. If you really want this you'd have to make some form of split plinth to fit round them after inserting. So you might as well make the hole big enough for a 13 amp plug...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

This could run and run...

I'm assuming you're not stupid enough to have the stopcock behind the machine, so the filling hose will come into an adjacent cupboard - as will probably the waste. My machine hasn't room for them behind it anyway. So put the socket near them, but away from any possibility of getting soaked. The mains cable is always longer than the hoses.

Reply to
Dave Plowman