measuring in concrete mixer

We are building a light garden shed base (there will not be anything heavy in there) and we were advised to buy two bags of cement to mix with six bags of sand and six bags of ballast. Then advised to mix it on a board with the ratio of one shovel of cement: to one bag of sand plus one bag of ballast.

But we have now decided that we should hire one of these small electric mixers, which in the hire company catalogue says the mixer will hold up to

85 litres of cement.

What would be the best way to load up such a mixer please? Would it hold one complete bag of sand plus one bag of ballast or would that be too much weight for it? Also how much cement and water would I add?

Just to confuse us even more, we have just seen in the Wickes good idea leaflet that they recomment a ratio of 1:3:6 (cement,sand,ballast) for shed bases.

Basically we just want the simplest and easiest way to measure out ingredients; plus how much water to use such a small mixer. Grateful for advice.

Reply to
john hamilton

[...]

Well I have a belle mini-mix, and I just measure by volume using a bucket. Put in the number of buckets to the correct ratio. Common stronger mix is 1-2-4, slightly weaker 1-3-6. I add water as required, never measure it out. I use a hose. Careful as when its getting wetter, you can easily add too much water. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

anything heavy

board with the

Grateful for

required,

Belle minimix (or 150). Half a 25 kg bag of cement to 10 or 12 shovels full of mixed ballast. NB 20mm Ballast is a mixture of sharp sand and agregates no bigger than 20mm so you don't need sand.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson