MCB Current Rating for Ring Main

Power and light.

Reply to
EricP

You say 'I would probably fail it' - are you a tester of some variety?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I remember testing in that manner, (after it had twice failed to trip, resulting in the 100A incoming fuse (and its replacement) blowing.) a 6A MCB. Everything was in spec, It just wasn't up to the (particularly high) PFC present on that circuit. I've been a little wary of MCBs since.

Reply to
<me9

jim

I think this is why quality sparks use radials in the kitchen. Ring final circuits are rather a UK under specified specification that maybe are OK in todays low power cumsumable appliances found in all but the kitchen. I suspect that the worst case a rfc would cope with is the Vac starting up or the lawnmower getting clogged on a wet lawn. Go into EU sparking areas and its all redials.

As 17th addition is round the corner we await with abated breath.

Yes I hope to have my 2391 soon (Exam mid July) so I can legally apply my hate of the amount poor sparking near and around me. My dad has a huge column drill on a 13amp extension lead with 1.5T&E, of course the earth wire has fractured and he complains of a tingle when drilling !! Perhaps Mum is waiting for his eyes for glow !!

Regards Ian

Reply to
ipellew

Yes, but they get 16A socket circuits with limited sockets on each circuit. It is only UK style systems that give us the flexibility to go around sticking 3kW appliances in where we see fit and have some chance of not blowing a fuse.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Now as I understand health and safety law in a work environment NOBODY from the bog cleaner up to the CEO can avoid blame if they become aware of a problem and do nothing about it. In a home / family situation surely the moral issue is even stronger if not the law, and particularly if an individual is training / trained in the area of hazzard . . .

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

That came in at the end of the 70's, and a jolly shock it was to employers. "Safety Officers" were appointed immediately,(Me), regardless of how little they knew.

When I enquired, I was told to see if we had "any loose carpet on the stairs".

I went around and listed defects and gave them to the manager. He binned it, but I had a copy on file elsewhere and had shown it to other staff. :))

Reply to
EricP

So they should come with 20A and a 6A then

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

the benefits of ring circuits seem to be often not understood

youll die if you do that

Best learn why our ring system has both safety and cost advanatages over radials then. Otherwise you'll be one more bad electrician.

NT

Reply to
meow2222