Making low cost hand cleaner

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 14:36:15 +0100, Adrian C wrote:

Lower class riff raff in the UK? They can use Makro...
--
Cheers
Dave.

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher

I just love the smell of Swarfega in the morning.
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 21:53:50 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

"Swarfega is not a lubricant" etc.
On 19 Oct,

Probably more so than WD40.
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Don't use on electronics ...
--
geoff

    = "kerosene"

This is **UK**.d-i-y. We spell it paraffin this side of the pond!
Martin Bonner wrote:

Lilly the Pink.
--
Adrian C

I use dishwashing liquid, which I already have on hand.

Soap is already as antibacterial as any healthy person needs. It's more about technique. See http://www.cdc.gov/cleanhands/ for tips.
Cindy Hamilton
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:16:37 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

I use Ecover washing-up liquid as a general soap for skin, hair and clothes when I'm away from home, as 150ml will last for 2 - 3 weeks. I wouldn't use 'ordinary' w-u liquid as it's too harsh' Ecover's pH is about 5.5. In the late '80s the H&S sheet advised not to 'drink too much of it' under Ingestion!
For general handwashing, foam/buble bath is good, doesn't attack the skin and, used neat, is almost as good as the 'engineering' hand-cleansers - and can be used on damp hands.

Apparently, thorough 'washing' in cold, running water (i.e. rubbing hard and all over - hands, that is!) is more effective at removing bacteria than cursory 'washing' with soap and water.
--
Peter.
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:16:37 -0700, Cindy Hamilton proclaimed:

I use fairy liquid with a liberal helping of granulated sugar (1tbsp or so) on my hands if they are really dirty. Works a treat..
Mike P
Mike P wrote:

Me too. Picked that tip up on a building site many moons ago. Always plenty of white sugar available in the site hut in them days
Stuart Noble wrote:

I would guess that something called bubble bath would cost more than something called dishwashing liquid.

Fairy liquid?

The sugar is used as an abrasive?
I bought a gallon of Permatex Fast Orange hand-cleaner with pumice for a buck at a yard sale a couple of years ago.
--
Cheers, Bev

Get a small cheap spray bottle (something like 'Neutradol' IIRC) and fill it with ordinary thin bleach. Once you've washed your hands with detergent a spray of bleach and rub dry should disinfect.
The nice clean smell of bleach will also take away the odour of cheap bubble bath.
Owain
john royce wrote:

Its even cheaper to use dish washing liquid.

You shouldnt be doing that. That breeds resistant bacteria.

Zero, nada, ziltch.
john royce wrote:

How pathetic is that? You can buy a brand name liquid hand soap for under a quid. Its not worth the thinking time for the money you could save.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Especially considering how much gets spilt decanting and refilling bottles and the grief and waste of materials cleaning up.
If folks really are that short of money I'd bet a pound against a piece of shit that Superdrug will do an own brand.
Here's a really revolutionary idea. Buy a block of the very best quality neutral soap (Oilatum, or Simple Soap, etc. no cosmetic crap ) at a cost of about 2.50 and use that. I did in January and it's only about 25% used. For stubborn black grease I use a tiny drop of 100% branded washing up liquid finally washing again with the toilet soap.
Derek

Frightening to use the Gents toilets and see how many men don't wash their hands - even when leaving the crapper. Noticed in supermarkets and pubs. Ugh!
Would be great to be brave enough to follow them back to their female companion and point it out to them!
John wrote:

From some of the gents' crappers I've seen, most hands would be cleaner before using the sink than after unless there's some magical way of dispensing green soap and turning on a faucet without actually touching it.
Does HRM still put that wax-paper-like toilet paper in the public loos? You know, the stuff with 'Property of the Queen' printed in red on each sheet.

Thereby opening you up to the accusation of hanging around men's rooms and ogling the users. Probably not a good idea.
--
Cheers, Bev
saying something like:

No shortage of dirty bastards in the world. I've noticed a surprising uptake of the hand-wash IPA gel that was left on food counters recently, in the swine flu hysteria.