Making a bolt

Is this *keeping a dog and barking yourself*? Bit oblique for most of us:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

AIUI the main value of the clerestory roof was to provide extra clearance for oil lamps, so there really was no need to retain it after conversion. Indeed, as they conversion also seems to have involved adding new ends and running gear, I am surprised anyone thought it worth while converting rather building new.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I think the tram was built new, but the design of the body dated from horse tram days. e.g. the driver stood at the front in the wet with no window to keep him dry, because for a horse tram he would need to hold the reins and crack the whip and shout whoa etc. It seemed to take a few years for the front of electric trams to be enclosed.

Reply to
Matty F

Shame, because if you had one you could kick him in the nuts and he'd make a bolt for the door.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Reminds me of the Cavalry regiment who had the motto "love and ride on " When they became mechanised it changed to "Screw and bolt"

Reply to
Bill

If it were just a platform, I would agree, but there are seats in the end sections, which would have been exposed too. Also I don't recall seeing bogies on a horse drawn tram. They add a lot to the weight, so I would normally expect four wheels on two axles. Two axles need to be relatively close together for the tight curves usual for trams, so that design would have a large overhang at each end on corners. However, take the middle bit, which has the clerestory roof and partitions at each end, put that on four wheels, add a much smaller driver / access platform at each end and the length seems about right.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

That wouldn't be a bolt with threads on though.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

But this is a thread about bolts ...