Maintenance Free Junction boxes using Wagos

I am soon to replace a couple of below floor junction boxes on the ring main owing to a change of floor covering meaning they will have to become maintenance free.

According to the installation notes for the original Wagobox and Wagobox SLA to qualify for BS 5733-MF I need to use connectors 773-173. No quibble about the connectors but am I obliged to use Wagoboxes since these connectors have been type approved for them or can I use Wiska boxes as I have used with Wagos in non-maintenance free situations?

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

The Wago boxes have cable grips in them. Do the Wiska boxes have those too?

Reply to
SH

Er no! Then again do junction boxes on fixed wiring require cable grips, I have not come across many that do.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

well, the Wago MF boxes I have have a pair of plastic cable grips that I can move up and down a slotted cone to adjust for different cable diameters.

see here:

I also have these:

As you can see these have cable grips too.

Everytime I see a junction box described as maintenance free, there has

*always* been cable grips provided.

Clearly the ability to retain a cable protects against movement of the individual wires that are pushed into the connectors.

The relevant standards are: BS EN60670-22, BS 5733-MF.

Reply to
SH

This is required reading!

SH

P.S. and it does say the terminals MUST be screw-less AND cables MUST be secured by cable clamps....

Reply to
SH

It may be mandated, but the question is why? As fixed wiring is usually cable clipped to joists and junction boxes are screwed to them, why on earth is a cable clamp a requirement, when nothing can move anyway?

Reply to
Steve Walker

Thanks for that SH so it is Wagoboxes , no problem.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

What's the difference between a cable clamp and a cable grip that you would find in a Wago Box?

Reply to
Fredxx

a cable clamp is a strip of plastic held with a screw at both ends

A cable grip is two shims of plastic gripping the cable on both opposite sides

Both are acceptable in MF boxes.

Reply to
SH

Thanks for the clarity.

IIRC the other stipulation is that a box can only contain one 20A connection. And that this acceptable for a ring. BICBW

Reply to
Fredxx

You can go up to 32A if you use the 773-173 push on connector which is rated for wire sizes from 2.5mm2 to 6mm2

On further question, since the CPC in 2.5 T&E is only 1.5mm2 and will be too small for the 773-173 connector is it acceptable to use a 222 series connector for that?

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Thats an excellent question......

our resident Sparky, Adam is probably the best & most qualified person to answer that....

but my gut instinct is that if you have a (RCD and MCB) or a RCBO on the circuit using those connectors, and that provided the 222 connector has a high enough rated current capacity suitable for 1.5mm2 cables, you're probably OK BICBW.

Reply to
SH

I think you only need 773-173 for 32A rating so you can use any 773 (or

222) /series/ connector that accepts 0.75-2.5mm
Reply to
Robin

Andy Burns is the wago man. He has a link somewhere to answer that question.

Reply to
ARW

I would consider a tightened up stuffing gland to be acceptable if using a whiska box.

Reply to
ARW

I was just about to say that I didn't think Adam was especially a Wago fan ... here's my collected info on Wagos in MF boxes ...

Wagos fitted in a suitable enclosure can be treated as "maintenance-free" but they need to be de-rated per conductor and total per enclosure.

A normal maximum current for 2.5mm^2 T&W cable if clipped-direct would be 27A, all the 222- and most of the 773- series Wagos have to be de-rated to 20A when installed as "maintenance free" also the sum of all currents within the single box must not exceed 50A

The exception is the 773-173 Wago, which is normally rated for 41A and de-rated to 32A and 64A total when "maintenance free", so is still OK for a ring circuit.

I hadn't previously noticed the minimum conductor size of 2.5mm^2 for the 773-173, so I'd either use a 773-10x or 222-41x for the CPC.

Andy Burns

That's really useful, thanks.

Reply to
Fredxx

Boxes available in 4 different colours:-)

We all need to accessorise from time to time.

Reply to
ARW

I've never seen the "designer colours" before --- when did they add those?

Reply to
Adam Funk